Which Video? Ajahn Brahm Story

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.

Which Video? Ajahn Brahm Story

Postby Jhana4 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:30 pm

In one of Ajahn Brahm's dhamma talks broadcasted on youtube he tells a story about two monks who are reicarnated as a worm and a being in the deva realm. Anyone remember the name of the video?

Thanks
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Jhana4

Re: Which Video? Ajahn Brahm Story

Postby bodom » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:44 pm

I dont know about the youtube video but here is the story from Brahm found online I believe you are referring too:

THE WORM

There is a wonderful little story about two monks who lived together in a monastery for many years; they were great friends. Then they died within a few months of one another. One of them got reborn in the heaven realms, the other monk got reborn as a worm in a dung pile.
The one up in the heaven realms was having a wonderful time, enjoying all the heavenly pleasures. But he started thinking about his friend, "I wonder where my old mate has gone?" So he scanned all of the heaven realms, but could not find a trace of his friend.

Then he scanned the realm of human beings, but he could not see any trace of his friend there, so he looked in the realm of animals and then of insects. Finally he found him, reborn as a worm in a dung pile... Wow! He thought: "I am going to help my friend. I am going to go down there to that dung pile and take him up to the heavenly realm so he too can enjoy the heavenly pleasures and bliss of living in these wonderful realms."

So he went down to the dung pile and called his mate. And the little worm wriggled out and said: "Who are you?", "I am your friend. We used to be monks together in a past life, and I have come up to take you to the heaven realms where life is wonderful and blissful."

But the worm said: "Go away, get lost!" "But I am your friend, and I live in the heaven realms," and he described the heaven realms to him. But the worm said: "No thank you, I am quite happy here in my dung pile. Please go away." Then the heavenly being thought: "Well if I could only just grab hold of him and take him up to the heaven realms, he could see for himself." So he grabbed hold of the worm and started tugging at him; and the harder he tugged, the harder that worm clung to his pile of dung.

Do you get the moral of the story? How many of us are attached to our pile of dung?

http://aumsri.sulekha.com/blog/post/200 ... e-worm.htm

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Re: Which Video? Ajahn Brahm Story

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:28 pm

The story is probably also in Ajahn Brahm's book Opening the Door of Your Heart http://www.dhammaloka.org.au/books.html (US title: Who ordered this truckload of dung?).

I've heard him use it in a number of talks, but since most of his talks are a semi-random collection of ideas and stories it's not easy to know which story will pop up in which talk... Just listen to a few dozen... :tongue:

Mike
mikenz66

Return to Dhammic Stories