Bit of a Quandary

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Beautiful Breath

Bit of a Quandary

Post by Beautiful Breath »

...not a huge issue but one on my mind anyway:

I practice Satipatthana as a rule... I was recently introduced to a wonderful DVD about Korean Zen nuns...there was a passage quoted in it (like to know where from if anyone knows)...its left a lasting impression on me that seems to be interupting my practice:

"There is a thing so bright and divine,
Never Born,
Never Dying,
Without name
Or Form...

...What is this? "

They used the question "What is this?" as a sort of Koan - I find it incredibly seductive and it crops up in my practice!

Do you think this is a problem?

Thanks in advance

BB
Nicro

Re: Bit of a Quandary

Post by Nicro »

Is it the DVD where they are staying up for a couple days meditating? I've been wanting to see that myself.

I'm not sure where it is from though. I don't think it is a problem either. Just see it and acknowledge it no matter how many times it comes it.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Beautiful Breath wrote:I practice Satipatthana as a rule... - I find {what is it} incredibly seductive and it crops up in my practice!

It's not satipatthana if the thought is pursued. It's a bit discursive, and it would only have relevance for the third tetrad, but in that case it seems appropriate to calm that citta, instead of pursuing that agitating ("incredibly seductive") citta...

This may not be an approach considered under the Vipassana rubric, however. Other practitioners will have to chime in on any labeling, et al tools to be used here.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

Beautiful Breath wrote: They used the question "What is this?" as a sort of Koan - I find it incredibly seductive and it crops up in my practice!

Thanks in advance

BB
You should probably decide whether you are going to pursue that as a practice like those Zen nuns do. In which case, you'll probably want to find a teacher in that tradition.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
chownah

Post by chownah »

I don't think it's a problem...I think it's an opportunity.
My advise on this is highly questionable so please do not accept it without questioning (hahahha as if).
1. concentrate the mind
2. contemplate the koan until the mind is deeply involved and has become "comfortable" or "familiar" with the koan
3. become mindful of the activity of contemplating the koan

This involves shifting the minds focus twice; once from concentration to contemplation and once from contemplation to mindfulness.....difficult but possible. If you don't get it right the first time (you should be so lucky) then keep trying...eventually it should happen even if by accident. The second shift will probably be the difficult one and perhaps (maybe...not sure) a good strategy to do this one is that if you let the mind contemplate the koan long enough the mind will eventually stop (on its own?) and at that time instead of just shifting back to concentration (as some people do) shift to mindfulness taking the last hints of the koan contemplation as the content of the mind......
This might not work....but then it doesn't cost anything to try and it shouldn't take long to give it a trial.....I guess.....do you think that trying this could be harmful?????? :jawdrop:
chownah
Ben

Post by Ben »

Greetings Beautiful Breath ,

Follow the instructions as per the methodology you are practicing and be careful not to get sidetracked by mental detritus.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Beautiful Breath wrote:."There is a thing so bright and divine,
Never Born,
Never Dying,
Without name
Or Form...

...What is this? "
Nothing.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
santa100

Post by santa100 »

There are many meditation methods by different school: vipassana, samatha (Theravada), Buddha-name-recitation (PureLand), Koan/Hoatau (Zen), etc.. I think you should try to find the one that fits you the best and then stick with just that method for a while. Just so that you can fully focus/dedicate all your energy onto 1 method instead of scattering it on multiple ones. It'd be more effective that way in my opinion. Good luck..