The Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Ben

Re: The Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge

Post by Ben »

You won't conquer your restlessness by giving in to it. You need to learn how to work with the hindrances and use them as an opportunity to develop concentration. Think of them as concentration hurdles. And be kind to yourself and yet exert more energy. Firstly, practce but have no expectations. Practice for the sake of practice. Secondly, No one in recent times became enlightened from meditating within ten minutes. Extend the length of time you can maintain unbroken awareness of the meditation object before lengthening your meditation sessions.
All the best

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

According to the written log I keep, the meditation I just finished marks 6 years of practice without a single day of meditation missed.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Sadhu! Sadhu! Sadhu!
dhammadiscipline

Meditation Journal

Post by dhammadiscipline »

Hey everyone, I'm going to record my practice here and -hopefully- keep myself motivated. Maybe it can help others, too.

:group: :)
Ben

Post by Ben »

All the best with your efforts Dhammawill!
I look forward to reading about them.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

dhammadiscipline

Sat for half an hour this morning. Had a lot of trouble following the breath, held on to it a couple times but 99% of the time was being pushed around my mind. Going to sit again tomorrow morning.
Moth

Post by Moth »

My friend and I decided that we'd do a retreat right here in our own homes. Since we have five day left of summer vacation, the schedule ended up like this:

Weds-Sunday(10am-6pm/August 24-28)
*Meditation consists of 30 minutes sitting followed by 30 minutes of walking
10:00-11:00 - Meditation
11:00-12:00 - Meditation
12:00-1:00 - Lunch
1:00-2:00 - Meditation
2:00-3:00 - Meditation
3:00-4:00 - Tea
4:00-5:00 - Meditation
5:00-6:00 - Meditation

Saturday(12am-6am)
*Saturday will include the regular schedule, but will add an additional 6 hours at night, and then continue with the regular schedule Sunday morning.
12:00-1:00 - Meditation
1:00-2:00 - Meditation
2:00-3:00 - Meditation
3:00-4:00 - Meditation
4:00-5:00 - Meditation
5:00-6:00 - Meditation

8 precepts will be kept on all five days.

If anyone would like to join us who lives in the LA/SF Valley area please do! We will do two session in the woods, one in a house, and one at a local temple. We encourage everyone to make their own retreats as well, no reason why we have to go to a far away place to strive in meditation.

Metta
May you be happy. May you be a peace. May you be free from suffering.
http://www.everythingspirals.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FaceaceRAWR

Post by FaceaceRAWR »

Oooo! I really enjoy the idea behind this thread! I do my best to meditate, but I'm easily distracted and mildly [hehe] forgetful.[which is why I'm glad to have discovered concentration meditation to aid in that]. Here's my current schedule. Well, I really shouldn't say schedule because I don't chose when I want to meditate based on the hour, but on my mind.
Anywho, I hope for your support! :hug:

This is my goal for at LEAST the rest of August [my birthday month].
Ace's Meditation Goal:
15 minutes - 30 minutes of Vipassana as I awake.
10 minutes - 30 minutes of Concentration Meditation following that.
---
30 minutes - one hour of Vipassana during the day followed immediately by...
10 minutes - 20 minutes of Concentration Mediation.
---
15 minutes - 30 minutes of Vipassana before I lay down on my bed at night.
Concentration Meditation in the Corpse Pose as I fall asleep.
---BONUS POINTS FOR ME! :quote:
At least 10 minutes of Concentration Meditation by itself during the day.
At least 30 minutes of Vipassana by itself during the day.

Lately I've been forgetting my meditation during the day because I get caught up in activities [ie: wasting time on the internet, playing games on the Xbox 360, ect.].
Wish me luck!

Metta! :heart: :hug:

Sincerely,
Ace :strawman:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Dhammawill,
dhammawill wrote:Sat for half an hour this morning. Had a lot of trouble following the breath, held on to it a couple times but 99% of the time was being pushed around my mind. Going to sit again tomorrow morning.
Its not an unusual experience. Certainly extend effort but also try and be relaxed about it and not have any expectations. When the mind wanders, gently return it to the object and try and keep it there for as long as possible.
All the very best,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Moth,
Moth wrote:My friend and I decided that we'd do a retreat right here in our own homes. Since we have five day left of summer vacation, the schedule ended up like this:

Weds-Sunday(10am-6pm/August 24-28)
*Meditation consists of 30 minutes sitting followed by 30 minutes of walking
10:00-11:00 - Meditation
11:00-12:00 - Meditation

...If anyone would like to join us who lives in the LA/SF Valley area please do! We will do two session in the woods, one in a house, and one at a local temple. We encourage everyone to make their own retreats as well, no reason why we have to go to a far away place to strive in meditation.

Metta
I'm a little curious why you're not utilising the best time of day 4AM to 10AM, and the overnighter, which if you're not used to it, could be a recipe for disappointment.
Anyway, I want to wish you the very best for your upcoming self-retreat. I wish you every success!
kind regards
Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Ace,
FaceaceRAWR wrote:This is my goal for at LEAST the rest of August [my birthday month].
Ace's Meditation Goal:
15 minutes - 30 minutes of Vipassana as I awake...
...At least 30 minutes of Vipassana by itself during the day.

Lately I've been forgetting my meditation during the day because I get caught up in activities [ie: wasting time on the internet, playing games on the Xbox 360, ect.].
Wish me luck!

Metta! :heart: :hug:

Sincerely,
All the very best with your ambition for August! If you're having difficulty with some distractions then it might be best to put them in a cupboard for a while. Also, be kind to yourself if you miss your daily routine. The important thing after a stumble is to return to your practice.
Wishing you every success!

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

FaceaceRAWR

Post by FaceaceRAWR »

Ben wrote:Hi Ace,
All the very best with your ambition for August! If you're having difficulty with some distractions then it might be best to put them in a cupboard for a while. Also, be kind to yourself if you miss your daily routine. The important thing after a stumble is to return to your practice.
Wishing you every success!

Ben
Mmm, that's very wise. I'm pretty hard on myself and I guess it may hinder more than help my progress. Thank you, Ben. :D

Sincerely,
dhammadiscipline

Ben wrote:Hi Dhammawill,
dhammawill wrote:Sat for half an hour this morning. Had a lot of trouble following the breath, held on to it a couple times but 99% of the time was being pushed around my mind. Going to sit again tomorrow morning.
Its not an unusual experience. Certainly extend effort but also try and be relaxed about it and not have any expectations. When the mind wanders, gently return it to the object and try and keep it there for as long as possible.
All the very best,

Ben
Thanks for the suggestion Ben, you're right. I sat again yesterday, for a half hour, and had a similar experience. I'm going to sit again today.

--edit

sat outside this afternoon for about an hour. Got some good following of the breath in and did some walking.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Well done, Dhammawill!

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

ramble on63

Post by ramble on63 »

hi all. ok having lapsed from any practice for several years the time feels right to 'start again'..like most men nearing the big '50' its a scary thought, so...in meantime (approx 18 months till half century :'() down to work. keep it simple, sit twice a day (started already), observe sila (last alcohol ten days ago was a heavy drinker prior) try stay mindfull, equanimous throughout day. may we all be successful !