Fixing the world

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
mpcahn

Fixing the world

Post by mpcahn »

I've heard that the a discourse about the futility of fixing the world was in the pali cannon.

Anyone know where it is? I can't find it.

Thanks.
is the mind us? Is it ours? Slash on down! Whatever is going to be destroyed, let it be destroyed. We feel no regrets. We want only the truth. (Ajahn Maha Boowa)
tiltbillings

Re: Fixing the world

Post by tiltbillings »

mpcahn wrote:I've heard that the a discourse about the futility of fixing the world was in the pali cannon.

Anyone know where it is? I can't find it.
The "world" is the only thing you can "fix."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
mpcahn

Post by mpcahn »

I guess I should say perfecting the physical world
is the mind us? Is it ours? Slash on down! Whatever is going to be destroyed, let it be destroyed. We feel no regrets. We want only the truth. (Ajahn Maha Boowa)
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Master Shantideva, an 8th-century Indian Buddhist Master was known for this quote:

"Where would I find enough leather to cover the entire surface of the earth? But with leather soles beneath my feet, it’s as if the whole world had been covered"

His intention was not to tell people to withdraw from all charitable acts to help others, his message basically remind us that the origin of all problems and issues start from your own mind, not from external factors. There'll always be un-favorable external conditions that one has little control of, but one still has total control of what's going on in one's own mind. By purifying the mind of defilements, one can greatly reduce the sufferings going on "out" there. That's basically what the message was trying to say.

The Nikayas' SN 47.19 gave another analogy in a similar spirit.. (ref: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ).
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Santa100,
santa100 wrote:Master Shantideva, an 8th-century Indian Buddhist Master was known for this quote:

"Where would I find enough leather to cover the entire surface of the earth? But with leather soles beneath my feet, it’s as if the whole world had been covered"
This is the first thing that came to mind for me upon reading the original post too.

However, given this is the "Classical Theravada" section, it's worth providing a caveat for readers that Shantideva is not representative of the Classical Mahaihara Buddhist tradition.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
mpcahn

Post by mpcahn »

Thank you all for your replies :anjali:

I was listening to a talk by Thanissaro and he mentioned somewhere in the Suttas the Buddha talked about the delusion that outside conditions could be perfected. That the world could be perfected to take perfect care of everyone. I was just wondering if anyone else had read that sutta because I can't find it.