Kamma in Pali script

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
Angelatarangela

Re: Kamma in Pali script

Post by Angelatarangela »

Thanks, Gavesako. That really clarifies things. I was trying to figure out how กรรม spelled "kamma" or "karma" without a ะ , but if they pronounce it without an a sound at the end, it makes a lot more sense.

Cheers!
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

As said in the very first reply to the OP, there is none.

A very large can of worms is in store for anyone trying to transliterate Thai to Roman script (as there is no unified system), whether Pali, or any other language be the desired one...although Thai has many Pali words in their own vocabulary, it depends on where (which part of the country) one is talking about (as well as no equivalent sound to certain letters in other languages, thus rendering transliteration even more difficult)...Thais from the South have great difficulty (if not no) understanding (of) their counterparts from the North, Issan, etc.(and vice versa) even using everyday lingo...

I'm not trying to dampen anyone's interest in their pursuit in this endeavor, just be prepared to know that, while some may get what one is trying to convey, a majority will be left scratching their heads...

This isn't chiseled in stone, but comes with more than thirty years residing in the country...

Best of luck to you though...
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

appicchato wrote: This isn't chiseled in stone,

Brahmi script is chiseled in stone. :tongue:

But I think I see your point, that there is no "holy" language, at least certainly no "holy" script. Writing Pali in Thai script is no more "holy" than writing it in Roman letters.
Angelatarangela

Post by Angelatarangela »

Hi Appichato. Thanks for the warning. I grew up in Thailand, so I'm fairly familiar with Thai and its transliteration. You are very correct in saying that transliterating Thai into English is difficult, and indeed there is no unified system. In my thesis I am attempting to follow the Royal Thai General System of transliteration, as far as possible. Fortunately the majority of my study has nothing to do with Thai or Pali language for that matter. Right now I'm simply setting the scene for attitudes toward wildlife in Thailand by discussing Theravada Buddhism, and its origins.

Thanks again everyone!
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi David,
David N. Snyder wrote:
appicchato wrote: This isn't chiseled in stone,

Brahmi script is chiseled in stone. :tongue:

But I think I see your point, that there is no "holy" language, at least certainly no "holy" script. Writing Pali in Thai script is no more "holy" than writing it in Roman letters.
About a week ago I was listening to the radio (Radio National here in Australia) and they were playing a program on Latin and the christian idea of sacredness being imbued in certain languages. An early version of the bible was written in Latin, Greek and Aramaic (I think). Scholars concluded that the language becomes sacred when a sacred text is translated into it so as that the text becomes understandable to the people using that language. But how long did it take for christians to realize that? Its still only in recent memory that the Catholic mass was still being officiated in Latin.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Ben wrote: Its still only in recent memory that the Catholic mass was still being officiated in Latin.
kind regards
And when Vatican II dumped Latin, they lost something significant.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ben

Post by Ben »

I was too young to remember Vatican II, though I thought I would never hear the end of it from the priests when I was at school.

During the program last week they interviewed the priest who is charged with promoting the use of Latin in the Vatican and was previously at a univeristy close to you, I think, Tilt. What he was saying about the unique qualities of the language rings true with your statement above. Having never studied Latin, for a brief period last week, I wish I had. To be able to read Cicero and Caesar in Latin must be incredible. And I hear its also good for improving one's command of English and all things biblical.
Anyway, back to kamma.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
halaha

Post by halaha »

Kamma in Sinhala is කම්ම.