Which Dhamma book would you choose as a gift?

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
SamKR

Which Dhamma book would you choose as a gift?

Post by SamKR »

Hello everyone,

If you have to choose one Dhamma book to give as a gift to somebody (who is relatively new to Buddhism but already knows the basics, and is serious about Dhamma) which one would you choose?

SamKR
Ben

Re: Which Dhamma book would you choose as a gift?

Post by Ben »

Hmm...
Still I think it depends on the individual and their proclivities.
"Heart of Buddhist Meditation" by Nyanaponika Thera is a classic and would be up near the top of the list of titles I would consider giving.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Either a sutta anthology like Bodhi's "In The Buddha's Words", or Thanissaro's "Wings To Awakening"... or one of those classic Theravada introductions like Walpola Rahula's "What The Buddha Taught" or Narada's "The Buddha & His Teachings".

Alternatively, if approaching it from a meditation perspective, I'd concur with Ben's recommendation.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Sam,

I would choose Walpola Rahula's "What The Buddha Taught".

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Saijun

Post by Saijun »

Hello friends,

I would (and have) given many, many copies of Ajahn Lee's Keeping the Breath in Mind and Lessons in Samadhi to those with interest in meditation, but not necessarily Buddhist doctrine. For someone more oriented to the Suttas, or farther down the road, I would go with Wings to Awakening or the volumes of Handful of Leaves.

Metta and Anjali,

Saijun
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

Thank you Ben, retrofuturist, cooran, and Saijun.

If I should believe in reviews, Bhikkhu Bodhi's "In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon" is highly rated in amazon. I have read a part of it and liked it. http://www.amazon.com/Buddhas-Words-Ant ... 779&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Other books as suggested above also have very good reviews.

Both doctrine/sutta-oriented or meditation-oriented books are fine. I would like to have more recommendations from other members.

Thanks a lot.

:anjali:
SDC

Post by SDC »

retrofuturist wrote: a sutta anthology like Bodhi's "In The Buddha's Words"
I second this.

It was my first book after I learned the basics. Excellent place to start in my opinion.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

SamKR wrote:Thank you Ben, retrofuturist, cooran, and Saijun.

If I should believe in reviews, Bhikkhu Bodhi's "In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon" is highly rated in amazon. I have read a part of it and liked it. http://www.amazon.com/Buddhas-Words-Ant ... 779&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And you can read the whole front matter and first chapter here:

http://www.wisdompubs.org/Pages/display ... ch&image=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The review PDF there is also interesting:
Thanissaro Bhikkhu is gradually working
towards an alternative English translation
of the Pali Canon, and each new text
he translates is published for free distribution
and placed on the Internet (accesstoinsight.
org) for free downloading. Because
of their preference for working in cyberspace,
the younger generation of dhamma
enthusiasts is widely using this version of
the Tipitaka. ....
Younger generation of dhamma enthusiasts...

Hmmm.... :thinking:

Mike
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Mike,

I wonder if they've seen how many link referrals come to their site come via forum discussions.

:geek:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Epistemes

Post by Epistemes »

I am really enjoying Thich Nhat Hanh's Old Path White Clouds. I think this book combines the best of biography with strong elements from the Tipitaka.
The wind spins without end,
one moment southward,
the next moment northward.
alan

Post by alan »

Hi Sam
Is it possible for someone relatively new to Buddhism to understand the basics? Seems improbable. How would that person know they were serious?
And why only one book?
alan

Post by alan »

Sorry if that response seems pedantic, but your question may have been framed inaccurately.
How about this: which books would you give to someone who has expressed an interest in Buddhism, seems serious, and has demonstrated a desire to learn more?
If that is your question, I'd advise reading Ayya Khemma.
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

alan wrote:Hi Sam
Is it possible for someone relatively new to Buddhism to understand the basics? Seems improbable. How would that person know they were serious?
And why only one book?
Hi alan,

My bad English! Thanks for pointing out my mistake. Being a non-native speaker of English I tend to think first in my language and then translate that to English.
Actually I meant to say someone who has been introduced to Buddhism recently and so not completely new. After knowing the basics such person can be serious and may want to know more in depth.

One book because I wanted to see which book you recommend the most -- to make myself easy to choose a few books based on the recommendations.
alan wrote:Sorry if that response seems pedantic, but your question may have been framed inaccurately.
How about this: which books would you give to someone who has expressed an interest in Buddhism, seems serious, and has demonstrated a desire to learn more?
If that is your question, I'd advise reading Ayya Khemma.
Yes, your sentence is better. Thanks.
Last edited by SamKR on Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
David2

Post by David2 »

You've already got very good recommendations.
One more title for the meditation aspect:
"Mindfulness in plain English"
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0861719069/ref ... 258&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

David2 wrote:You've already got very good recommendations.
One more title for the meditation aspect:
"Mindfulness in plain English"
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0861719069/ref ... 258&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, I already got good recommendations. But still it's better to know about more books which are considered good. :) Actually, I plan to read those books myself (if I have not already read) before giving as gifts.
Thanks for your suggestion.