Dhamma book for the completely uninitiated

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.

Dhamma book for the completely uninitiated

Postby Epistemes » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:59 pm

There's a thread currently going about which book to give as a gift for somebody who already knows the basics, but what about for somebody who is completely uninitiated? What about if somebody thinks Buddhism is strange but is open to the idea of reading something on it? What's a good way of easing somebody into knowledge of the dhamma?
The wind spins without end,
one moment southward,
the next moment northward.
Epistemes

Re: Dhamma book for the completely uninitiated

Postby David2 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:05 pm

The books mentioned in the other thread are also good for absolute beginners in my opinion.
"Mindfulness in plain English" is very good because it does not use many Pali terms.
David2

Postby Epistemes » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:24 pm

Yes, there are a lot of good books in the other thread, but I feel many of the recommendation assume some familiarity with terms like "Buddha," "Dhamma," "Sangha," etc. Many of the recommendations in the other thread are for books that contain much to do with the Pali Canon.

"Mindfulness in Plain English" seems to be a book rooted in some knowledge of what dhamma is or, at least, some desire to want to start meditation.
one moment southward,
Epistemes

Postby Justsit » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:10 pm

"Buddhism for Dummies" ?? :shrug:

(No insult intended or implied. :tongue: )
Justsit

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:53 pm

Here is an excellent book for beginners and it is completely available online. It is currently available in 31 different languages!

http://www.goodquestiongoodanswer.net/
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Epistemes » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:55 pm

David,

What a great resource! A link worth bookmarking.
one moment southward,
Epistemes

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:28 pm

Greetings,

Epistemes wrote:What about if somebody thinks Buddhism is strange but is open to the idea of reading something on it? What's a good way of easing somebody into knowledge of the dhamma?

Buddhism For The Modern Skeptic (PDF)
http://www.justbegood.net/Downloads/e-b ... %201_1.pdf

:geek:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby pilgrim » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:46 pm

Ajahn Brahm's "Opening the Door of your Heart", also published as "Who Ordered this Truckload of Dung?"
pilgrim

Postby Maitri » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:05 am

I personally love, "What the Buddha Taught" by Walpola Rahula. It's one of my favorite intro books and I think I am due for another read. I had the good fortune of giving a copy to a person seeking the Dhamma this weekend!
May all beings be well, happy, calm, and at ease.
Maitri

Postby polarbuddha101 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:29 pm

The first book I came across about buddhism was "What the Buddha Taught" by Walpola Rahula. It is especially good to give this book to a skeptic because it says rather harsh things about people fabricating god and soul to comfort themselves instead of just seeing reality how it is. I also like the way it described anatta.

However, I think I'm gonna check out that book "Buddhism For The Modern Skeptic" that another poster put up because that sounds interesting
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
polarbuddha101

Return to Dhammaduta (Dhamma propagation)