Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Pasāda vs Saddha

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:46 am

Greetings,

I was reading this part of...

Going for Refuge & Taking the Precepts by Bhikkhu Bodhi
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el282.html

The third aspect of going for refuge is the emotional. While going for refuge requires more than emotional fervor, it also cannot come to full fruition without the inspiring upward pull of the emotions. The emotions entering into the refuge act are principally three: confidence, reverence, and love. Confidence (pasada) is a feeling of serene trust in the protective power of the refuge-objects, based on a clear understanding of their qualities and functions. Confidence gives rise to reverence (gaurava), a sense of awe, esteem, and veneration born from a growing awareness of the sublime and lofty nature of the Triple Gem. Yet this reverence does not remain cool, formal, and aloof. As we experience the transforming effect of the Dhamma on our life, reverence awakens (pema). Love adds the element of warmth and vitality to the spiritual life. It kindles the flame of devotion, coming to expression in acts of dedicated service by which we seek to extend the protective and liberative capacity of the threefold refuge to others.

The actual printed text says "pasāda" rather than "pasada"... and when I looked up the word, I found the following definition (from: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philol ... li.1121758)...

Pasāda
Pasāda [fr. pa+sad, cp. Vedic prasāda] 1. clearness, brightness, purity; referring to the colours ("visibility") of the eye J i.319 (akkhīni maṇiguḷa -- sadisāni paññāyamāna pañca -- ppasādāni ahesuŋ); SnA 453 (pasanna -- netto i. e. pañca -- vaṇṇa -- ppasāda -- sampattiyā). In this sense also, in Abhidhamma, with ref. to the eye in function of "sentient organ, sense agency" sensitive surface (so Mrs Rh. D. in Dhs. tsrl. 174) at DhsA 306, 307. -- 2. joy, satisfaction, happy or good mind, virtue, faith M i.64 (Satthari); S i.202; A i.98, 222 (Buddhe etc.); ii.84; iii.270 (puggala˚); iv.346; SnA 155, PvA 5, 35. -- 3. repose, composure, allayment, serenity Nett 28, 50; Vism 107, 135; ThA 258. -- Note. pasāda at Th 2, 411 is to be read pāsaka (see J.P.T.S. 1893 pp. 45, 46). Cp. abhi˚.

... so I'm wondering how Bhikkhu Bodhi came to translate it as "confidence". Is this meant in the sense of the second or third definition?

How would pasāda compare in meaning with a term like saddha, often translated as faith or conviction?

Definition from: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philol ... li.1690970

Saddha
Saddha1 (adj.) [orig. adj. of saddha2, but felt to be adj. of saddhā; cp. BSk. śrāddha AvŚ i.83, 383] 1. believing faithful D i.171; S i.43; ii.159 sq.; A i.150; ii.164, 227 sq.; iii.3 sq., 34, 182; iv.38, 145, 314 sq.; v.10 sq., 124 sq.; Sn 188, 371; Dh. 8; Pv i.104; iv.186; DhA ii.82. -- as(s)addha unbelieving PvA 42, 54, 67, 243 & passim (see a˚). -- 2. credulous Sn 853; Dh 97.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Pasāda vs Saddha

Postby cooran » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:03 am

Hello Retro,

Retro said: ... so I'm wondering how Bhikkhu Bodhi came to translate it as "confidence".

I think Bhikkhu Bodhi is using the usual translation for the term pasada.
Ven. Thanissaro agrees with him.
"The emotion he felt at this point is termed pasada, another complex set of feelings usually translated as "clarity and serene confidence.""

http://www.buddhanet.net/budsas/ebud/ebdha084.htm

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Return to Pali