So this is where you all are...!

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
forestmat

So this is where you all are...!

Post by forestmat »

Hi, greetings from forestmat in a rather troubled Thailand.

I usually post on another site e-sang*** but was wondering where everyone had gone!

So I am here too.

I was ordained with the NK* cult until I came to realise the error of my ways back in 1996

Since then I have been following the forest tradition of NE Thailand, and lived with Luangpor Khemadhammo at the forest hermitage in the UK for 4 years.

Now I live in Thailand with my wife.

I have spent about 12 years living here and love it ! Despite the protests and conflicts I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Happy to join this forum and my best wishes and metta to all of you who already know me, and particularly to those who don't.

May we all come to know the true Dhamma in our hearts.

With metta

forestmat
Hartridge Buddhist Monastery, Devon, England
Ben

Re: So this is where you all are...!

Post by Ben »

Welcome Forestmat to Dhamma Wheel
I am glad you have found us!
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

:hello:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
SeerObserver

Post by SeerObserver »

forestmat wrote:I was ordained with the NK* cult until I came to realise the error of my ways back in 1996

Since then I have been following the forest tradition of NE Thailand, and lived with Luangpor Khemadhammo at the forest hermitage in the UK for 4 years.

Now I live in Thailand with my wife.

I have spent about 12 years living here and love it ! Despite the protests and conflicts I wouldn't live anywhere else.
Welcome to DW.

When were these 4 years, and it what capacity was your stay? Were you ordained in this tradition as well?
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

hi forestmat
I am going to the forest hermitage for a retreat soon! do you know Tahn Manpo (didn't copy the name honest! it is just the closest I could find to my real name in pali.) and almost wen to the NK* myself.

Nice to meet you.

Manapa
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Excellent to see you here, Forestmat!

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
forestmat

Post by forestmat »

Such a nice welcome, and hi especially to Ben and Retro.

Retro hope you are fit and well these days?

SeerObserver...I was at the FH from Jan 1999 to end of 2000 (and then went off to India for a year) and again from the start of 2002 until the end of 2003.
Now I say I have lived in Thailand for twelve years, to be more precise, I have spent 12 years of my life here but not all at one time. This time round I have been here since late Dec 2003 to present.

I was at the FH as private secretary to Luangpor, and acted as manager of the whole place. I was also instrumental in the purchase of their new building and the initial fundraising of 250,000 pounds. I was also LP's driver.

During my time at the FH I was not ordained, but kept the 5 precepts very carefully.

Lovely to make contact with you all,

Manapa...Yes I know Tan Manapo very well, in fact I have known him for many years, even before he got ordained. I last saw him and LP in Bangkok in January this year when they came to Thailand for a few weeks. I am sure you will enjoy his retreat, and you will get to stay in Wood Cottage which I negotiated the purchase of. It is set in the most beautiful countryside surrounded by fields and a small forest. My best wishes to you.

With metta to you all

forestmat
Hartridge Buddhist Monastery, Devon, England
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Forestmat,
forestmat wrote:Retro hope you are fit and well these days?
Yep, all hunky dory.

I hope your country can find ongoing peace... and hopefully the Dhamma can play some role in that.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

hi Forestmat
this trip will be my 4th visit their, with some more planned in the future.

I believe they are looking for a new manager but think it is only for the retreat side.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill