Upadana as "sustenance"

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
retrofuturist

Upadana as "sustenance"

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I've observed in Thanissaro Bhikkhu's translations, such as...

SN 12.52: Upadana Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... that he translates upadana doubly as "clinging/sustenance".

He also seems to translate the Pali compound panca-upadana-khanda as... "clingable phenomena (or: phenomena that offer sustenance = the five aggregates)"

Clinging tends to be a more common translation than sustenance, but I was wondering what people thought of the use (or implication) of sustenance as a possible translation of upadana.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Re: Upadana as "sustenance"

Post by Ben »

Greetings Retro,
It reminds me of a translation I once read, sorry I don't have a reference with me at the moment, of the five khandhas being five heaps (on fire). So, sustenance would fit in well in that regard.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Greetings Retro,
retrofuturist wrote:... that he translates upadana doubly as "clinging/sustenance".

He also seems to translate the Pali compound panca-upadana-khanda as... "clingable phenomena (or: phenomena that offer sustenance = the five aggregates)"

Clinging tends to be a more common translation than sustenance, but I was wondering what people thought of the use (or implication) of sustenance as a possible translation of upadana.
He evidently follows the secondary meaning of the word 'upadana', which IMO is not appropriate in this context:

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 44#p109444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best wishes, Dmytro
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I am certainly no " Pali Wallah" but it does seem to me that the translation of Upadana is better rendered as "appropriation " rather than as "clinging". It seems to me that this obsession with clinging is not always helpful..there is, or so it seems, a view that there is a clinger.
The idea of a cluster of khandic activity which draws in temporary "sustenance " seems much more apropos.