In Praise of Coffee

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
BubbaBuddhist

In Praise of Coffee

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

...researchers involved in an ongoing 22-year study by the Harvard School of Public Health state that "the overall balance of risks and benefits [of coffee consumption] are on the side of benefits." For example, men who drank six or more cups of coffee per day were found to have a 20% reduction in developing prostate cancer.

Other studies suggest coffee consumption reduces the risk of being affected by Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, heart disease, diabetes mellitus type 2, cirrhosis of the liver, and gout. A longitudinal study in 2009 showed that those who consumed a moderate amount of coffee or tea (3–5 cups per day) at midlife were less likely to develop dementia and Alzheimer's disease in late-life compared with those who drank little coffee or avoided it altogether. It increases the risk of acid reflux and associated diseases. Most of coffee's beneficial effects against type 2 diabetes are not due to its caffeine content, as the positive effects of consumption are greater in those who drink decaffeinated coffee. The presence of antioxidants in coffee has been shown to prevent free radicals from causing cell damage. A recent study showed that roast coffee, high in lipophilic antioxidants and chlorogenic acid lactones, protected primary neuronal cell cultures against hydrogen peroxide-induced cell death.

Caffeine has been associated with its ability to act as an antidepressant. A review by de Paulis and Martin indicated a link between a decrease in suicide rates and coffee consumption, and suggested that the action of caffeine in blocking the inhibitory effects of adenosine on dopamine nerves in the brain reduced feelings of depression. A 1992 study concluded that about 10% of people with a moderate daily intake (235 mg per day) experienced increased depression and anxiety when caffeine was withdrawn.
In the 17th century, coffee appeared for the first time in Europe outside the Ottoman Empire, and coffeehouses were established and quickly became popular. The first coffeehouses reached Western Europe probably through the Kingdom of Hungary, (thus this was the mediator between the Holy Roman Empire and the Ottoman Empire) and appeared in Venice, due to the trafficks between La Serenissima and the Ottomans; the very first one is recorded in 1645. The first coffeehouse in England was set up in Oxford in 1652 by a Jewish man named Jacob at the Angel in the parish of St Peter in the East in a building now known as "The Grand Cafe".

A plaque on the wall still commemorates this and the cafe is now a trendy cocktail bar. Oxford's Queen's Lane Coffee House, established in 1654, is also still in existence today. The first coffeehouse in London was opened in 1652 in St Michael's Alley, Cornhill. The proprietor was Pasqua Rosée, the Armenian servant of a trader in Turkish goods named Daniel Edwards, who imported the coffee and assisted Rosée in setting up the establishment in St Michael's Alley, Cornhill. By 1675, there were more than 3,000 coffeehouses in England.

Pasqua Rosée also established Paris' first coffeehouse in 1672 and held a city-wide coffee monopoly until Procopio Cutò opened the Café Procope in 1686. This coffeehouse still exists today and was a major meeting place of the French Enlightenment; Voltaire, Rousseau, and Denis Diderot frequented it, and it is arguably the birthplace of the Encyclopédie, the first modern encyclopedia. America had its first coffeehouse in Boston, in 1676.

A rebuted tale of Vienna's first cafeteria said that it was founded in 1683 by a Polish resident, Jerzy Franciszek Kulczycki. In general, the first Polish cafes were founded in Warsaw in 1724 by one of the courtiers of Polish King August II Sass. However the whole culture of drinking coffee was itself widespread in the country in the second half of XVIII century. The first registered coffee house in Vienna was founded by the Greek Johannes Theodat (also known as Johannes Diodato) in 1685. Fifteen years later, four Greek owned coffeehouses had the privilege to serve coffee.

Johann Sebastian Bach was once heard to say: "Bring me a bowl of coffee before I turn into a goat!"

M4
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
Ben

Re: In Praise of Coffee

Post by Ben »

Thank you Jon!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

A fig for partridges and quails,
ye dainties I know nothing of ye;
But on the highest mount in Wales
Would choose in peace to drink my coffee.

~Jonathon Swift

This coffee falls into your stomach, and straightway there is a general commotion. Ideas begin to move like the battalions of the Grand Army of the battlefield, and the battle takes place. Things remembered arrive at full gallop, ensuing to the wind. The light cavalry of comparisons deliver a magnificent deploying charge, the artillery of logic hurry up with their train and ammunition, the shafts of with start up like sharpshooters. Similes arise, the paper is covered with ink; for the struggle commences and is concluded with torrents of black water, just as a battle with powder. ~Honore de Balzac, "The Pleasures and Pains of Coffee"
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Give me a good strong mug of brick coloured Yorkshire Tea.
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

:toast: Here you go.

M4
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Back atcha.. :toast:
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

PeterB wrote:Give me a good strong mug of brick coloured Yorkshire Tea.
Eiu wey no pet ...not first thing in the morning !....I have a big mug of delicious Italian coffee for breakfast and then have the strong (Geordie) tea later in the day.

:)
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Two at breakfast , two mid morning...two at lunch and two with me tea. :smile: Preferably luke warm. Ta chuck...and a Hobknob..
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

PeterB wrote:Give me a good strong mug of brick coloured Yorkshire Tea.
Oh yes, I agree with you on that. I'd have it 8 times a day as well if it weren't so expensive over here.
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

My Paeon to coffee is being derailed by teaists. :tongue: Time to retaliate:
Caffeine is my shepherd; I shall not doze.
It maketh me to wake in green pastures:
It leadeth me beyond the sleeping masses.
It restoreth my buzz:
It leadeth me in the paths of consciousness for its name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of addiction,
I will fear no Equal™:
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me.
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of The Starbucks:
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over.
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life:
And I will dwell in the House of Mochas forever.
~Author Unknown
Black as the devil, Hot as hell,
Pure as an angel, Sweet as love.
~Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

C-o-f-f-e-e,
Cofee is not for me
It's a drink some people wake up with,
that it makes them nervous is no myth
Slave to a coffee cup,
They can't give cofee up
This has a tune which can be sung in canon, but a quick look didn't find it in English on Youtube.
:smile:
Kim
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

• "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

Neither God I nor God II stand between me and my coffee.

BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

There are six types of coffee in descending order: Cafe, Coffee, Java, Joe, Mud, and that stuff they serve at A.A. meetings and in jailhouses that tastes like it run off of Luther's boot.

M4