Teacher or no Teacher?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
cesar4enlightenment

Teacher or no Teacher?

Post by cesar4enlightenment »

Is it possible to be a practicing Buddhist without a teacher?
NDat

Re: Teacher or no Teacher?

Post by NDat »

I think we can practice without a teacher if we understand properly what we should do, and why we are doing what we are doing. I have learnt the Dharma by myself without any teacher so far. I do not want to be influenced by only a teacher. With the Internet, I can learn from several teachers at the same time. This is just my personal view. However, for the practice it always be better if we could find a good teacher, and have the means to meet him/her. Sorry for my bad English!
Nicro

Post by Nicro »

Of course. You have the ultimate teacher: The Buddha.

A physical teacher with whom you can somehow communicate simply makes a lot of things easier.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Although having a teacher who could teach you face to face would be greatly beneficial, it doesn't mean you cannot practice Buddhism in the absence of one. Many great teachers give free online lectures over the internet. For example, Bhikkhu Bodhi's series on the Majjhima Nikaya is totally awesome. Check it out if you have some times:

http://bodhimonastery.net/bm/about-budd ... ikaya.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, Bhikkhu Thanissaro and other teachers' translation of the Nikayas are invaluable resources for your study and practice:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy and Good luck..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Not to diminish the benefit from a living teacher...
The Blessed One spoke to the Venerable Ananda, saying: "It may be, Ananda, that to some among you the thought will come: 'Ended is the word of the Master; we have a Master no longer.' But it should not, Ananda, be so considered. For that which I have proclaimed and made known as the Dhamma and the Discipline, that shall be your Master when I am gone.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .vaji.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Learning to meditate by following the instructions of an experienced Buddhist meditation teacher is the gold standard wherever possible. Its well worth both the effort and any cost.

:anjali:
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

A previous thread ''Role of the teacher in Theravada '' may be of interest:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5549" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Epistemes

Post by Epistemes »

I have almost always been attracted to Buddhism because I was under the impression that a teacher wasn't necessary. I am not sure where I picked up this impression, but it wasn't from a non-Buddhist source, I'm sure.

One of the things about Mahayana that is the most unattractive for me is the insistence upon learning from a master - especially for the Vajrayana. There is just something about relying upon a master that makes me uncomfortable right now. Something about it stinks of "religion."

While I understand the benefit of having a master to help improve one's practice, I don't think someone should seek out a master unless that person is ready to take that step.

I think technology has greatly changed the face of dhamma transmission that has not been available before. The internet is literally flooded with information about the dhamma, and more and more bhikkhus seem to be embracing the internet as a medium to convey the essential information to help with any problems of interpretation or practice. Perhaps the impersonal nature of dhamma talks via live internet streams is better since it leads to non-attachment and lack of preference for a particular (or available) master.
The wind spins without end,
one moment southward,
the next moment northward.
cesar4enlightenment

Post by cesar4enlightenment »

thanks all, the reason for my question is because i live where it hard to find any centers where Buddhism is taught, even so i will continue to follow the footsteps of the Buddha and use my resources to continue on the path.
nameless

Post by nameless »

PeterB wrote:Learning to meditate by following the instructions of an experienced Buddhist meditation teacher is the gold standard wherever possible. Its well worth both the effort and any cost.

:anjali:
Agreed, though, if the 'cost' involves a fee to the teacher that is not a donation, you might want to be careful.