YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Heavens to betsy - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

Heavens to betsy

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Ngawang Drolma.

Re: Heavens to betsy

Postby Ngawang Drolma. » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:31 pm

Agreed, Christopher :heart:

Though I'm not overly attached to it, being renamed with a dharma name was significant for me. It was a symbolic outer change that I took to heart. I use my dharma name as I do to remind myself of my precepts and vows. In vajrayana they often give you a name of something you should aspire to. People outside of my religion might think that's a weird thing! But it's not weird to me at all. But these are symbols and have the meaning that we apply to them.

Ngawang Drolma.

Postby Ngawang Drolma. » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:44 pm

I would like to add that I get upset when I see blatantly obvious scams, like ridiculously expensive "Big Mind Weekend Seminars" and stuff.

:buddha2:

cooran

Postby cooran » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:32 pm

Last edited by cooran on Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Ngawang Drolma.

Postby Ngawang Drolma. » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:38 pm

Hi Chris,

Conceit and hate? I'm lost...

I appreciate your feedback. I hope I'm not rattling on too much today.

My understanding of what I said about dharma names is that you're given a name with a quality that you're lacking, basically. So it's something I should be trying to develop or cultivate.

:namaste:

edited to add: The name you're given can either be a quality you already exhibit or a quality you need to develop. But the teacher doesn't tell you which it is. So in my case, it was logical to assume that it's something I need to be thinking about and working on developing :smile:

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:05 am

_/|\_

Ngawang Drolma.

Postby Ngawang Drolma. » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:39 pm

Dear Dan,

I was unaware that Big Mind was taken seriously by buddhists. That being the case, my comment was insensitive and I apologize :heart:

I thought Bid Mind essentially promised enlightenment in a weekend ?? I've only read a little about it.

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:34 am

_/|\_

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:11 am

my time in zen was with an old japanese master, we once asked him about Genpo and his responce was "he's the deluded amongst the deluded" he thought Genpo (or at least this method) was a joke.
this isnt the only critisism i've heard of Genpo from zen masters either
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:13 am

oh and i believe the flyer we showed my teacher had Genpo promising enlightenment in 90mins.... maybe it takes a weekend now?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:28 am

He may well be right. I wouldn't know. I do know that he is a dharma heir to Maezumi Roshi, who while not without faults, was considered to be a serious teacher who left a solid legacy (Bernie Glassman, Joko Beck and Daido Loori to name a few). As for the flyer, I'd be interested to see. Sometimes students also get overenthusiastic about their teacher and his methods. What I read Genpo himself write about Big Mind was not so outrageous.

:shrug:

_/|\_
_/|\_

Return to “Lounge”