Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

what and Where is Nibbana?

Postby shoel » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:55 am

Please can you explain me what and where is Nibbana? :bow: :juggling:
shoel

Re: what and Where is Nibbana?

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:56 am

Greetings Shoel,

To clarify, you're interested in nibbana as explained in Abhidhamma?

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby plwk » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:32 am

http://www.palikanon.com/english/sangaha/chapter_6.htm
Nibbāna however is termed supramundane, and is to be realized by the wisdom of the Four Paths. It becomes an object to the Paths and Fruits, and is called Nibbāna because it is a departure (ni) from cord-like, (vāna) craving.

Nibbāna is onefold according to its intrinsic nature.

According to the way (it is experienced) it is twofold - namely, the element of Nibbāna with the substrata remaining, and the element of Nibbāna without the substrata remaining.

It is threefold according to its different aspects, namely, Void (60), Signless (61), and Longing-free (62).

Great seers who are free from craving declare that Nibbāna is an objective state (63) which is deathless, absolutely endless, non-conditioned (64), and incomparable.

Thus, as fourfold the Tathāgatas reveal the Ultimate Entities-consciousness mental states, matter, and Nibbāna.

See discussion here:
The Puzzle of Nibbana
Nibbana (Pages 353-58)
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Postby shoel » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:49 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Shoel,

To clarify, you're interested in nibbana as explained in Abhidhamma?

Metta,
Retro. :)

Abhidhamma is the hardest to learn in BUddhism. but i would like Nibbana to talk haha
shoel

Postby shoel » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:51 am

plwk wrote:
http://www.palikanon.com/english/sangaha/chapter_6.htm
Nibbāna however is termed supramundane, and is to be realized by the wisdom of the Four Paths. It becomes an object to the Paths and Fruits, and is called Nibbāna because it is a departure (ni) from cord-like, (vāna) craving.

Nibbāna is onefold according to its intrinsic nature.

According to the way (it is experienced) it is twofold - namely, the element of Nibbāna with the substrata remaining, and the element of Nibbāna without the substrata remaining.

It is threefold according to its different aspects, namely, Void (60), Signless (61), and Longing-free (62).

Great seers who are free from craving declare that Nibbāna is an objective state (63) which is deathless, absolutely endless, non-conditioned (64), and incomparable.

Thus, as fourfold the Tathāgatas reveal the Ultimate Entities-consciousness mental states, matter, and Nibbāna.

See discussion here:
The Puzzle of Nibbana
Nibbana (Pages 353-58)

Thank you so m uch for reply,

I want to ask , can you and I see where is NIbbana in the puthujjana stage, or can you/we see nibbana in this stage?
shoel

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:04 am

shoel wrote:Please can you explain me what and where is Nibbana? :bow: :juggling:

Does not apply!
asking what nibbana is can only be answered in the negative, it is the absence of greed hatred and delusion, no-more becoming, re-becoming....
asking where nibbana is, is like asking where fire is when it goes out! it is in no place, yet visible here and now.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Gena1480 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:49 pm

Nibbana is freedom
Gena1480

Postby acinteyyo » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:19 am

Manapa wrote:
shoel wrote:Please can you explain me what and where is Nibbana? :bow: :juggling:

Does not apply!
asking what nibbana is can only be answered in the negative, it is the absence of greed hatred and delusion, no-more becoming, re-becoming....
asking where nibbana is, is like asking where fire is when it goes out! it is in no place, yet visible here and now.

:goodpost:
Pubbe cāhaṃ bhikkhave, etarahi ca dukkhañceva paññāpemi, dukkhassa ca nirodhaṃ. (M.22)
Both formerly, monks, and now, it is just suffering that I make known and the ending of suffering.
Pathabyā ekarajjena, saggassa gamanena vā sabbalokādhipaccena, sotāpattiphalaṃ varaṃ. (Dhp 178)
Sole dominion over the earth, going to heaven or lordship over all worlds: the fruit of stream-entry excels them.

:anjali:
acinteyyo

Return to Abhidhamma