Awareness as refuge?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Ngawang Drolma.

Awareness as refuge?

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

Please pardon my rudeness in advance for slapping a Mahayana thingie in here.

But mindfulness as a form of refuge? What say you, my Theravadan friends?
I've never quite gone this far with stressing the importance of mindfulness.

Awareness is your refuge:

Awareness of the changingness of feelings,
of attitudes, of moods, of material change
and emotional change:

Stay with that, because it's a refuge that is
indestructible.
It's not something that changes.
It's a refuge you can trust in.

This refuge is not something that you create.
It's not a creation. It's not an ideal.
It's very practical and very simple, but
easily overlooked or not noticed.

When you're mindful,
you're beginning to notice,
it's like this.

Ajahn Sumedho

(Source: From "Intuitive Awareness", 2004 )
tiltbillings

Re: Awareness as refuge?

Post by tiltbillings »

Every other practice is subservient to mindfulness.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Greetings

Ajahn Sumedho has a good talk on it here

http://www.dhammatalks.org.uk/sumed.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Dhamma talk is named "awareness is your refuge" if you would like to listen to it

Metta
“The teacher willed that this world appear to me
as impermanent, unstable, insubstantial.
Mind, let me leap into the victor’s teaching,
carry me over the great flood, so hard to pass.”
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Drolma

Nice topic!
Ledi Sayadaw, a teacher within my own tradition, says something similar in his work Manual of the Excellent Man:
Taking refuge is of two kinds: by hearsay and by direct knowledge. Taking refuge through blind faith in the noble attributes of the Buddha, the Dhamma, and the Saṅgha, but without right view, is by hearsay. It is so called because the act of taking refuge is not complete in so far as the worshipper has not actually “seen” the Buddha, the Dhamma, or the Saṅgha; he has not perceived the teaching; he has not been in contact with the teaching. In common parlance, he has not got the message.

Consider the Buddha’s admonition to Vakkali, the devoted bhikkhu who spent all his time in worshipful admiration of the Buddha, “Vakkali, he who does not see the Dhamma does not see me.” That is why taking refuge in the Three Gems without empirical knowledge of the Dhamma, i.e. insight into the arising and passing away of phenomena, relies on hearsay only. It is not taking refuge with direct knowledge.

Taking refuge with direct knowledge means imbibing the Buddha’s teaching with right view by perceiving the aggregates, the sense bases, and the elements, and their arising and cessation, which alone will destroy the delusion about a “self” and doubts about the Four Noble Truths. This kind of going for refuge is the real refuge, for the worshipper is actually in contact with the Three Gems.

“One understands suffering, its origin, its cessation and the Noble Eightfold Path leading to the end of suffering. This, indeed, is a secure refuge, this is the supreme refuge. Taking refuge in this, one gains release from the cycle of existences.” (Dhp. vv.191-192.)
For more: http://www.aimwell.org/Books/Ledi/Uttam ... efuge.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
floating_abu

Post by floating_abu »

clw_uk wrote:Greetings

Ajahn Sumedho has a good talk on it here

http://www.dhammatalks.org.uk/sumed.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Dhamma talk is named "awareness is your refuge" if you would like to listen to it

Metta
Love that guy. Thanks clw_uk. :thumbsup:
floating_abu

Post by floating_abu »

Ngawang Drolma wrote:Please pardon my rudeness in advance for slapping a Mahayana thingie in here.

Awareness is your refuge:

Awareness of the changingness of feelings,
of attitudes, of moods, of material change
and emotional change:

Stay with that, because it's a refuge that is
indestructible.
It's not something that changes.
It's a refuge you can trust in.

This refuge is not something that you create.
It's not a creation. It's not an ideal.
It's very practical and very simple, but
easily overlooked or not noticed.

When you're mindful,
you're beginning to notice,
it's like this.

Ajahn Sumedho

(Source: From "Intuitive Awareness", 2004 )
Luang Por is spot on.

:namaste:
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

we take refuge in the dhamma- ie the practice of it, along with the other 2- the buddha and the sangha - so i see nothing wrong with this
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Drolma,
Ngawang Drolma wrote:But mindfulness as a form of refuge? What say you, my Theravadan friends?
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's "refuge" of the status provided to the Triple Gem, however, mindfulness is an integral component of Dhamma... so when taking refuge in mindfulness, you're taking refuge in the Dhamma, and when you're taking refuge in the Dhamma, you're also taking refuge in the Buddha and the Sangha.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

Ben wrote:Hi Drolma

Nice topic!
Ledi Sayadaw, a teacher within my own tradition, says something similar in his work Manual of the Excellent Man:
Taking refuge is of two kinds: by hearsay and by direct knowledge. Taking refuge through blind faith in the noble attributes of the Buddha, the Dhamma, and the Saṅgha, but without right view, is by hearsay. It is so called because the act of taking refuge is not complete in so far as the worshipper has not actually “seen” the Buddha, the Dhamma, or the Saṅgha; he has not perceived the teaching; he has not been in contact with the teaching. In common parlance, he has not got the message.

Consider the Buddha’s admonition to Vakkali, the devoted bhikkhu who spent all his time in worshipful admiration of the Buddha, “Vakkali, he who does not see the Dhamma does not see me.” That is why taking refuge in the Three Gems without empirical knowledge of the Dhamma, i.e. insight into the arising and passing away of phenomena, relies on hearsay only. It is not taking refuge with direct knowledge.

Taking refuge with direct knowledge means imbibing the Buddha’s teaching with right view by perceiving the aggregates, the sense bases, and the elements, and their arising and cessation, which alone will destroy the delusion about a “self” and doubts about the Four Noble Truths. This kind of going for refuge is the real refuge, for the worshipper is actually in contact with the Three Gems.

“One understands suffering, its origin, its cessation and the Noble Eightfold Path leading to the end of suffering. This, indeed, is a secure refuge, this is the supreme refuge. Taking refuge in this, one gains release from the cycle of existences.” (Dhp. vv.191-192.)
For more: http://www.aimwell.org/Books/Ledi/Uttam ... efuge.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kind regards

Ben
Great quote.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.