Jayamangala Gatha

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
thornbush

Jayamangala Gatha

Post by thornbush »

I found a poster on another Forum asking on this famous and common chant: the 'Jayamangala Gatha', (The Victorious and Blessings Stanza) a component of Theravada daily and devotional chants.

So I found this interesting short excerpt:
http://eng.buddhapia.com/_Service/_Cont ... menu_type=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The recital of the Jayamangala Gatha, a set of eight benedictory stanzas extolling the virtues of the Buddha, may also be cited as a popular custom partly related to the chanting of pirit.
This is usually done on important occasions like a marriage ceremony, when setting out on an important journey, or when inaugurating any venture of significance.
...the stanzas of success and prosperity," Jayamangala Gatha, and have become quite popular among all sections of the Buddhists.
While the origin of these stanzas is shrouded in mystery, it can be stated with certainty that they were composed in Sri Lanka by a devoted Buddhist poet.
The earliest available reference to them is during the Kandyan period when they are given in a list of subjects that a monk should study.
This shows that they had become well established during the 16th and 17th centuries; hence they must have been composed at least a century earlier.
These stanzas are regarded as efficacious because they relate eight occasions, each based on a beautiful story, when the Buddha triumphed over his powerful opponents."

1. What is the origin of the Gatha?
2. Which part of the Tripitaka is it found?
3. What is the Catubhanavara and is the Gatha part of it?

Many thanks for your kind replies :thanks:

Namo Amitabha Buddha!
mikenz66

Re: Jayamangala Gatha

Post by mikenz66 »

It's certainly a stirring chant that's commonly done at my Wat.

While the gatha is "modern", the incidents are presumably all from the Suttas. I could only point to a couple of them without doing some searching, but most of them sound vaguely familiar. I keep meaning to do that searching, but... :zzz:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... buddhajaya" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta
Mike