relics

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Tathagathava

relics

Post by Tathagathava »

hi all,i just got some relic of the Buddha and his main disciples,Maha Moggalana and Sariputta that brought from Myanmar.

can i know how to prove that the relics is genuine? thanks :smile: :smile: :buddha2:
daverupa

Re: relics

Post by daverupa »

There won't be a way to prove such a thing, it will always come to rest on an assumption and a hope.

:heart:

May your saddha increase, in any event.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Tathagathava

Post by Tathagathava »

some say that buddha relics can multiple and arahants relics can grow,

please..relics is not a magic thing,relics is just a symbol that symbolize the truth of Dhamma.if u have relics in your altar,just put a common respect same like before you have the relics....
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

It really doesn't matter, and is not something that is possible to prove. Like a Buddha image, a pagoda, or any sacred object, it is just a skilful means to direct your mind towards the noble qualities of the Buddha, Dhamma, and Sangha. If you have doubts as to a relic's authenticity, your mind may waver, and you may be disinclined to worship at a shrine. However, if you understand about the qualities of the triple gem, the relic is not the important thing — the quality of devotion to virtuous qualities is what matters.

Don't be a superstitious follower of the Buddha who relies on sacred objects. Read the Candala Sutta and reflect on its meaning.

On the BBC today I saw an item about the theft of Rhino horn from museums. Apparently it is about twice the price of gold. Superstitious people believe it has great potency as a medicine. In fact, it is just made from Kerotin, the same substance in hair and finger nails. It would be just as effective to use toenail clippings in medicine as to use Rhino horn. If only we could sell our toenail clippings for £2,000 an ounce!
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
befriend

Post by befriend »

didnt buddha say it is good karma to visit the holy sites of his birth, enlightenment, etc.... why wouldnt it be good karma to see a relic of the actual buddha? i mean if it is the bone of buddha wouldnt all the energy of the paramis' hes cultivated for eons have been flowing through those bones? the tibetans go on tours with relics and say just looking at them can be a source of good karma. i dont know for sure but from my understanding this is my leaning. metta, -Befriend
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.