'Just Be Good' booklets...

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
alan

Re: 'Just Be Good' booklets...

Post by alan »

Yes cooran I know that well. I've spent months in Singapore over many years and have been there many times.
The Muslim population has no real influence outside their quarter.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Biting my tongue... :smile:
alan

Post by alan »

Why? If you have something to say, then please say it. Biting your tongue is ridiculous and pointless.
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

I also do not see the relevance of Islam in this discussion. If anything, the Just Be Good booklets, ( I think the title is a little tonque-in-cheek) is more a response to the evangelistic Christianity in Singapore that has made aggressive gains in recent years. Statistics indicate that Christianity's expansion has been at the expense of Buddhism. See: http://newnation.sg/2011/01/christianit ... nsus-2010/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The JBG booklets are not the only free Dhamma books available in Singapore. You can also get free books on suttas , meditation, forest tradition books, Pa-auk books, Mahasi books etc. The JBG may not be attractive to those who consider themselves knowledgeable or intellectually discerning but serve an important role to introduce Buddhism at entry level and have been tremendously popular across Asia. They are distributed in several countries including Philippines and Malaysia. 100,000 copies were recently printed in China bringing TY Lee's books to a total of 500,000 books as at end of 2010.

Would you prefer that these books not be printed and distributed at all?
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
pilgrim wrote:If anything, the Just Be Good booklets, ( I think the title is a little tonque-in-cheek) is more a response to the evangelistic Christianity in Singapore that has made aggressive gains in recent years. Statistics indicate that Christianity's expansion has been at the expense of Buddhism. See: http://newnation.sg/2011/01/christianit ... nsus-2010/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, that underpins the point I was trying to make... it's a competitive spiritual marketplace, and each theistic denomination is putting their own spin on who will be the "chosen ones" based on whatever faith, belief or devotional criteria their doctrine entails.

To suggest the same outcome can be achieved by just being good, would be a relevant, appealing and sensible value proposition, set against the competition.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

alan wrote:Why?
Since you've said please...what your saying, and the manner in which you're saying it...
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

alan wrote:And I don't see the good of telling people that Buddhism promises an afterlife in heaven.
Folk Buddhism is a significant sociological enterprise worth understanding, but I am not at all certain it differs much from lay Buddhism c.450 BCE. The Suttas record two main thrusts of monastic discourse to the laity, one of which was the way to heaven. In fact, the gradual discourses to the laity begin with dana, then sila, then talk of heaven, and only then the drawbacks of sensual pursuit and the value of renunciation.

It has its place, for many.

:heart:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
alan

Post by alan »

appicchato,
All I get from you is italic quotes which have no meaning.
What do you have to say? Don't bite your tongue. It isn't healthy.
alan

Post by alan »

Folk Buddhism may have had it's place 2000 years ago, but if this is all the Therevada can offer today, I'd say It is basically pathetic, and not worthy of further study.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

alan wrote:Folk Buddhism may have had it's place 2000 years ago, but if this is all the Therevada can offer today, I'd say It is basically pathetic, and not worthy of further study.
Simply one aspect of a gradual discourse that goes on by stages, alan. Of course there are vast swathes of improvement which can be envisaged, but this is one aspect wherein we find the Buddha operating, as a matter of course.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Skillful means; it may not be the best teaching for some, but for others it is quite effective to getting them on course, on the path.

The Buddha didn't just teach one way. He taught based on the context of his audience and what they were able to understand.
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

I don't know what the participants here are talking about. What that site says is:
Just BE GOOD!

The Buddha's advice is to :

Do Good, Avoid Evil, and Purify the Mind.

In practical everyday terms, this means the practice of Dana, Sila and Bhavana.

Folk Buddhism? Did anyone actually read what is said there? :roll:
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Just as the ocean has a gradual shelf, a gradual slope, a gradual inclination, with a sudden drop-off only after a long stretch, in the same way this Doctrine and Discipline (dhamma-vinaya) has a gradual training, a gradual performance, a gradual progression, with a penetration to gnosis only after a long stretch.

— Ud 5.5

The beginner is not expected to jump into the deep end..
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Hi.

If you still have some, I would be delighted to receive some of TY Lee's booklets. My name is Lisa , and my address is [Personal info deleted].

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Kind regards
Lisa
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Lisa wrote:Hi.

If you still have some, I would be delighted to receive some of TY Lee's booklets. My name is Lisa , and my address is [Personal info deleted].

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Kind regards
Lisa
Hi Lisa,
I suggest you contact Lee directly thru the form at the bottom of this link.
http://www.justbegood.net/FreeStuff.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You could ask for a bulk delivery if you could help to distribute the books.