Water Shortages - Worldwide

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Water Shortages - Worldwide

Postby Will » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:52 am

It seem impossible on a planet that is 70% water, but affordable, potable water is getting more and more rare, even in the United States.

See this documentary Flow: Love of Water to get a survey of the many aspects to the problem.

http://www.flowthefilm.com/aboutwater
This noble eightfold path is the ancient path traveled by all the Buddhas of eons past. Nagara Sutta
Will

Re: Water Shortages - Worldwide

Postby jcsuperstar » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:58 am

i've been talking about this stuff for around 10 years (a long time considering im kinda young). i remember seeing something in the 90s that talked about the price of providing clean water to the world, and at that time it was kinda cheap, compaired to say stealth bombers and space shuttles, and my comment was why would america need to spend so much on the military when we could give the world clean water, i mean it's probably pretty easy to get people to hate america as it is now, but it would be a bit harder to convince some guy to hate the people who gave the world clean water, and wouldnt that be far more ost effective than more planes?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:21 am

Greetings,

Melbourne's water supplies are gradually declining....

Melbourne Water: Water Storage Graph
http://www.melbournewater.com.au/conten ... _graph.asp

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby appicchato » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:50 am

jcsuperstar wrote:i've been talking about this stuff for around 10 years (a long time considering im kinda young). i remember seeing something in the 90s that talked about the price of providing clean water to the world, and at that time it was kinda cheap, compaired to say stealth bombers and space shuttles, and my comment was why would america need to spend so much on the military when we could give the world clean water, i mean it's probably pretty easy to get people to hate america as it is now, but it would be a bit harder to convince some guy to hate the people who gave the world clean water, and wouldnt that be far more ost effective than more planes?

'Enlightened' thinking my friend... :smile:

You buy a small plastic bottle of water (in Thailand) and it's cost (per liter) is more than that of benzine (gasoline)...go figure...:shrug:
appicchato

Postby pink_trike » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:27 am

We tend to forget how erratic, extreme, and dangerous Planet Earth really is - especially amnesiac modern humans who are deeply estranged from the natural world, and who's sense of climate history only extends back a couple of hundred years during a relatively stable period between extremes. Our premodern ancestors knew that periodically temperatures rise high enough to force humans to live deep underground, and that periodically global drought is severe enough to nearly kill nearly all living beings on the planet. And on the flip side, periodically cold enough to cover most of the planet in ice, or wet enough to drive all life to the top of mountain peaks for decades. Cyclically. Not separated by millions of years, as previously believed - ten's of thousands of years...a blink in earth time. Modern science is only now discovering evidence of this cycling in the geological and archeological record. There is no solid ground to be found anywhere in the phenomenal world.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
pink_trike

Postby Rui Sousa » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:10 pm

pink_trike wrote:We tend to forget how erratic, extreme, and dangerous Planet Earth really is - especially amnesiac modern humans who are deeply estranged from the natural world, and who's sense of climate history only extends back a couple of hundred years during a relatively stable period between extremes. Our premodern ancestors knew that periodically temperatures rise high enough to force humans to live deep underground, and that periodically global drought is severe enough to nearly kill nearly all living beings on the planet. And on the flip side, periodically cold enough to cover most of the planet in ice, or wet enough to drive all life to the top of mountain peaks for decades. Cyclically. Not separated by millions of years, as previously believed - ten's of thousands of years...a blink in earth time. Modern science is only now discovering evidence of this cycling in the geological and archeological record. There is no solid ground to be found anywhere in the phenomenal world.

:twothumbsup: :goodpost:
With Metta
Rui Sousa

Return to Lounge