formal precepts ceremony

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
befriend

formal precepts ceremony

Post by befriend »

this would be a good thread for people who have taken the precepts to share how it has effected there practice, and life.
i for one think it was the best thing ive ever done. not only does it make incredible amounts of karma, i dont have to think about wether or not i should or should not have a beer or 6. its so much different when you take the precepts by yourself then if you do it in public with all your heart. its an event so you remember it better. if you do it with enough sincerity i think it would have more of an impression on your psyche. now when im about to gossip i catch myself because i took the precepts, and this was 2 years ago.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
befriend

Re: formal precepts ceremony

Post by befriend »

i was crying half the time because it was so moving, and because i was repeating the pali text intensely with a pure heart. i wish i took pictures at the end.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Greetings befriend

I think most people would take the precepts everyday in front of their shrine as part of their morning chants. And others, myself inc., take precepts at the beginning of a retreat. For me the real life-changer wasn't so much taking the precepts but observing them every day.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
ground

Post by ground »

Participating in formal ceremony may be a manifestation of determination which is a good thing. Vows and pledges may be involved which may function as helpful enhancers of mindfulness.
But once the ceremony as such is completed just let it go and go ahead.

Kind regards
Gena1480

Post by Gena1480 »

i took the precepts twice at monk for a month program
first time it was kind of uncomfortable
second time was much better
but i could not remember how to put the robe on
it was difficult for me
love and kindness to all
befriend

Post by befriend »

it seems like you ordained temporarily, not just took the precepts?? is that correct?
manas

Post by manas »

Thanks for sharing that, befriend. It takes courage to share, shall we say, our more emotional or devotional moments, in a public forum. I agree that really being attentive to the sounds of the pali words as you chant them, especially when you know what each word means, and also meaning what you say (knowing that the words are backed up by your actions) - this is like a meditation in itself, IMO.

In Buddhism we have to give up quite alot. I for one think that rituals are ok if they help us to hold on to the raft of the Dhamma. Each to their own, as they say. On that note, it's been a while since I actually chanted the precepts that I am trying to live by, might be a good idea to do so tonight...

:namaste:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Dhammaloka (Followers of Ajahn Brahm) have created an online five precepts opportunity here:

http://community.dhammaloka.org.au/cont ... e-Precepts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gena1480

Post by Gena1480 »

yes i ordain as novice
and took 10 precepts