Mental Noting

Discussion of Satipatthana bhavanā and Vipassana bhavana.
tiltbillings

Re: Mental Noting

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:58 am

Sylvester wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
mikenz66 wrote:I'm a bit wary of the term "bare attention" because there seem to be various ways of interpreting it.
Maybe "bare attention" is worth a careful look, and new thread. That will give me something to do later today.

Please do. I'll try to chime in a little with a philological/grammatical analysis of the ubiquitous "iti" clitics used all over the Satipatthana Sutta instructions, which may hopefully throw some light from another angle.

I think the "bare attention" theory has a very sound foundation in the Satipatthana Suttas, even if the standard Pali grammars have not picked this up.
I'll post something, but it will be in a couple of hours from now. Other duties call.

I'll start is as a new thread.

++++++++++++++++
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

There is freedom from birth, freedom from becoming, freedom from making, freedom from conditioning. If there were not this freedom from birth, freedom from becoming, freedom from making, freedom from conditioning, then escape from that which is birth, becoming, making, conditioning, would not be known here. -- Ud 80

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

dheamhan a fhios agam
Damned if I know.

Sylvester

Re: Mental Noting

Postby Sylvester » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:01 am

Oh no! All of my grammars are on my office PC, which means I'll have to lug it home if I'm to keep pace with your new thread. Maybe just a few notes, and no citations then.

Return to “Insight Meditation”