Help! need Meals for Bhikkhus - vegetarian

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
cooran

Help! need Meals for Bhikkhus - vegetarian

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

Need help please.... The Bhikkhus (usually two) at the Forest Monestery where I attend for teachings and meditation strictly observe the Vinaya ~ which means they are Alms Mendicants and only eat before Noon and only eat Alms food donated by lay followers. I am thinking of signing up for the roster to provide the meal, but am not a vegetarian and have only learned to cook a non-vegetarian diet all my life. The Bhikkhus, though not able to request any particular dishes, are known to prefer vegetarian dishes ... though, of course, they must take what they are given.

I would love some hints and recipes - the Bhikkhus are West German and Finnish. The congregation is mainly Sri Lankan and Australian/English. It is a very small group, but expanding.

The person who has volunteered to be rostered for a particular day, brings the whole meal already cooked to the Monestary by 10.30 a.m.for serving .... hot dishes, breads, dessert, and fruit.

I would love recipes for a meal which is delicious, not fattenig, complete and healthy .... and easy to cook, transport and reheat.

Help!!

metta
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ben

Re: Help! need Meals for Bhikkhus - vegetarian

Post by Ben »

OK Chris
I'm currently cooking some Indian vegetarian dishes as we speak. The fiddliest aspect of Indian/Sri Lankan cooking is the preparation and cooking the spices in order. But if you're organised its not too much of a drama.
I'll pull out my Madhur Jaffrey books (Asian Vegetarian & World Vegetarian) after dinner tonight and transcribe some recipes for you.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Ben,

Thank you!! :hug:

metta
Chris
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

I would welcome ALL sorts of vegetarian recipes - especially mains and desserts which compliment each other.

metta
Chris
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

http://allrecipes.com/Membership/ThankY ... C6kFr%20M=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

here is a good source of recipes, there are many similar types of sites around.

typically I would cook myself a Thai sweet and sour tofu, which I have altered slightly to suit my taste, and I got the recipe from the retreat centre I go to. there are many meat style alternatives in the freezer section which are surprisingly nice.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
fijiNut

Post by fijiNut »

Greetings Chris & All,

The easiest ( and most welcomed suggestion in my opinion for these two monks) would be just vegetarian pizza(to save you the hassle, get this ordered from pizza hut or dominos!).

Alternatively, if you have the time to prepare you don't need any new recipes, whatever recipes you have for meat, just use mock meat, I don't know if this link might help for Asian stores that sell mock meat in Brisbane - compliments of google.
http://www.vegsoc.org.au/forum_messages ... Topic_ID=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There are special curry pastes you can buy that takes the guesswork out of cooking delicious Asian style curries, throw some lentils/beans and vegetables, you're set!

Please send my love and kind regards to all dear friends at this special monastery.

May the merits of your good deed bring you and your loved ones - long life, health, strength and happiness to practice the Dhamma all the way to Liberation!

kind regards,
fijiNut
cooran

Post by cooran »

Thank you Manapa and fijinut, :smile:

Sung, you are sorely missed. :cry: Jeff will be leaving next weekend also. Anicca, I know - but ...

On a happier note, Dhammagiri at Kholo has had a wonderful three days (Saturday, Sunday and Monday) honoured with a visit from Kruba Ajahn Liem Thitadhammo, with Ven Siripanno, from Wat Nong Pah Pong in Thailand. Ajahn Liem is a highly respected and revered Buddhist monk in the classical Thai Forest Tradition. He is Ajahn Chah’s chosen successor. On the last afternoon, we took him for a Citycat ride on the Brisbane river (the captain came at the end to call and wave 'Sawadee ka'. The boat ride was from the University to Brett's Wharf and then we drove up to Mt. Cootha lookout. Bhante Dhammasiha was laughing because we were all pulled over and breathalysed on the way up ... and louder when it happened again on the way down. :tongue: There were four robed monks (one Thai, one Malaysian, one Finnish, and one German) and I think more people at the look-out were taking photos of our group than of the view.

metta
Chris
fijiNut

Post by fijiNut »

Chris,

That's a great story! I can imagine why the cops stopped you; "What? Five people with so radiant smiles, they must be drunk or high on something!"

....or maybe high on Dhamma.
:anjali:

kind regards,
fijiNut
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Chris

Actually, Sung's suggestion is excellent. I'm often a bit too lazy and resort to the viacom(?) paste jars in the Asian food isle of Coles or Safeway. One that I discovered recently was the Thai yellow curry. Instead of the meat/chicken it suggest on the side of the pack, I substitute with tofu and vegetables. instead of the fish sauce, you could substitute lemon or lime juice. For a desert, I don't think you can go past a cake. I've been making cakes at home and, don't cringe, but the Green's or White Wings English Tea Cake is particularly good. It does require a few eggs, so best to find out whether the venerables prefer not to consume eggs.

Chris, can you give an indication when you would like to start cooking for the sangha? Both of my vegetarian cookbooks will be great. World Vegetarian has vegetarian recipes from all over the world - not just Indian and Sri Lankan. And may give the monks a reprieve from a Sri Lankan cuisine (however delicious). Eastern Vegetarian also includes menu suggestions as an appendix. I could get lots of the recipes photocopied or it might be easier for me to send the books up to you and I could highlight some of my recommendations.
Anyway, just let me know what you want to do and when you need the recipes by, as I'm happy to send my books up to you on loan.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

cooran

Post by cooran »

Thank you Thornbush - I've had a quick browse of the sites and think they will be very useful. :clap:

Ben, that's a lovely offer, I'll let you know. :thanks:

metta
Chris
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Chris,

Mrs. Retro does a mighty fine ricotta lasagna... let me know if you'd like me to source the recipe.

:stirthepot:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

What's becoming apparaent to me is that what Dhamma Wheel lacks is its version of an online cooking channel. Perhaps we can embed YouTube window in a thread with a selection of videos of members in the kitchen a la jamie oliver (definitely NOT Nigella) cooking up their favourite vegetarian dishes. Another idea I have is our own version of 'Hells Kitchen'. We could call it 'Cooking in Samsara' and the role of obnoxious uber-chef (Gordon Ramsay) could go on rotation. We would then channel our 'Inner-Yakkha' so that our friends have the great opportunity to develop equanimity while being publically humiliated.
What do you think??

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Ben,
Ben wrote:What do you think??
I think you should reconsider your Nigella exclusion! :o

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

White beans with rosemary

(Provenance: France)

Note: all measures are in metric

4 tbsp olive oil
115g onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary, or 1/2 tsp finely crushed dried rosemary
1 med tomato finely chopped
1 bay leaf
285g dried large white beans, picked over, soaked and drained.
1.25 tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper

- Put the oil in a wide medium-sized saucepan and set over a medium-high heat. When hot, put in the inion, garlic and rosemary. Stir and fry for 3-4 minutes, or until the onion just starts to brown. Put in the tomoato and bay leaf and stir for one minute. Put in the beans. Add 875 ml of water stir brong to a boil and cook for 1 hour. Add the salt and pepper, cover, turn the heat to low and simmer genly for another 30 minutes or until the beans are quite tender. Serves 4.

-- Source: Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian.

Tips:

- Use canelloni or butter beans. Its also good with bortolli beans.

- To cut down on the cooking time, consider substituting the dried beans with canned beans. I use two 400g tins washed and drained. Then, instead of 875 ml of water, add enough water to cover. Simmer for 30 minutes ensuring that the beans don't go dry.

- Serve with rice, cous cous or crusty bread.

- Sutta Nipata 3.725