Letting go of the idea of letting go of something

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Soe Win Htut

Letting go of the idea of letting go of something

Post by Soe Win Htut »

Nowadays, many meditators_yogi contemplate that mind, body, life or everything-etc; is impermanent, unsatisfactory and non-self.
Our intellect can understand any mind and body are not mine, yours, myself, and yourself. We understand that mind, body, life or everything is subject to change, impermanent, unsatisfactory and non-self.
But we still attach life, mind, body and the meditation method-etc; with firm likes and dislikes.
Why is our attachment to life, mind, body and the meditation method-etc; still being?
In our country especially in Myanmar, there are a lot of meditation centers and people have been practicing meditation methods taught by Buddha. After some time, they can let go of some worldly attachments but they become attaching firmly one's meditation method and meditation centre. Some are even becoming in more egotism about my way, my teacher, mine, yours etc,

In 2002, a monk has appeared in Myanmar to solve the problem in Myanmar. His name is U Ottamasara, Abbot of Than-lyin Natural Medtation Center, Yangon, Myanmar(Burma).
Now his teaching is becoming well known in Myanmar_Burma.

He teaches the Dhammaupassana, letting go of the idea of something, someone, somewhere, sometime as reality and as of real importance.(i.e. His teaching is just trying to abandon or discard the idea(mind-action) of centering, emphasizing, and attaching upon something, someone, somewhere, sometime and dualistic knowing such as hotness-coldness, pain-pleasure, good-bad, likes-dislikes, rising-falling, tightness-looseness etc; as reality and as of real importance).

If you want to learn more;
Here I would like to share his mp3 teaching:
http://onlymiddleway.multiply.com/music ... talk_05-11

Some more explanation about his teaching:
http://onlymiddleway.multiply.com/journ ... daily_life

http://www.mediafire.com/?x078w45yh6maa6a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Soe Win Htut on Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:17 am, edited 8 times in total.
Awareness(mental noting) alone is not enough for enlightenment. (Ashin Tejaniya)
Created truths(Sammuti Sacca) are just to be used only, experienced only and known onlyWithout rejecting and attaching them with the idea of reality.
Vipassana (Insight meditation) is changing from the volitional action to action-only, attachment to detachment, misunderstanding to right understanding.
To Learn more....
http://www.thabarwa.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, or
http://www.thabarwa.org/guided-insight-mp3-talks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ben

Re: Letting go of the idea of letting go of something

Post by Ben »

Thank you U Soe. I'll just move this thread into the Vipassana Bhavana forum where more people are likely to read and comment on it.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
chownah

Post by chownah »

I have two thoughts about this.
1. Letting go of ideas is fine but what if someone at an early stage of the path decided to let go of the idea that it is time to sit and meditate since this is part of my practice. If they let go of this idea then they might stop mediating.....how about letting go of the idea that consuming intoxicants is detrimental?....might people then forget this?....I guess that maybe there is a time for letting go of some things.....don't let go of the raft before crossing the water I guess....
2. Is letting go of "letting go of the idea of letting go of something" a good idea?
chownah
P.S. When I go to the second link in the original post the text is too wide to fit on my screen...it gives me a headache to keep panning back and forth to try to read it and make sense of it....doe anyone know how to fix this problem?
chownah
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Soe Win Htut wrote:Nowadays, many meditators_yogi contemplate that mind, body, life or everything-etc; is impermanent, unsatisfactory and non-self.
Our intellect can understand any mind and body are not mine, yours, myself, and yourself. We understand that mind, body, life or everything is subject to change, impermanent, unsatisfactory and non-self.
But we still attach life, mind, body and the meditation method-etc; with firm likes and dislikes.
Why is our attachment to life, mind, body and the meditation method-etc; still being?
In our country especially in Myanmar, there are a lot of meditation centers and people have been practicing meditation methods taught by Buddha. After some time, they can let go of some attachments but they become attaching firmly one's meditation method and meditation centre. Some are even becoming in more egotism about my way, my teacher, mine, yours etc,

In 2002, a monk has appeared in Myanmar to solve the problem in Myanmar. His name is U Ottamasara, Abbot of Than-lyin Natural Medtation Center, Yangon, Myanmar(Burma).

He teaches the Dhammaupassana, letting go of the idea of something, someone, somewhere, sometime as reality and as of real importance.(i.e. His teaching is just trying to abandon or discard the idea(mind-action) of centering, emphasizing, and attaching upon something, someone, somewhere, sometime and dualistic knowing such as hotness-coldness, pain-pleasure, good-bad, likes-dislikes, rising-falling, tightness-looseness etc; as reality and as of real importance).

A very important point in my view. It has become a commonplace to see exhortations to " let go " with a clear implication that this letting go will result in a view untainted by anicca.
Soe Win Htut

Post by Soe Win Htut »

chownah wrote:I have two thoughts about this.
1. Letting go of ideas is fine but what if someone at an early stage of the path decided to let go of the idea that it is time to sit and meditate since this is part of my practice. If they let go of this idea then they might stop mediating.....how about letting go of the idea that consuming intoxicants is detrimental?....might people then forget this?....I guess that maybe there is a time for letting go of some things.....don't let go of the raft before crossing the water I guess....
2. Is letting go of "letting go of the idea of letting go of something" a good idea?
chownah
P.S. When I go to the second link in the original post the text is too wide to fit on my screen...it gives me a headache to keep panning back and forth to try to read it and make sense of it....doe anyone know how to fix this problem?
chownah
For 1 . Your question is very good and I think it arises from the desire to grasp the good things. :tongue:

In fact, insight meditation is mostly concerned with the mind-action or attitude or idea or understanding.
It does not mean to abandon the good bodily action and verbal action.

It does not mean to abandon something good or bad directly.
But It means just to abandon the idea of something is in original reality and in real importance.
It means to abandon the idea/attitude/taking/centering/grasping/mind-action of something, someone, individual as original reality.

eg. If you have the business, the insight meditation does not mean to abandon it.
But it means to abandon the idea/attitude/mind-action of centering, grasping and thinking it as original reality and real importance.

That means to accept and contemplate that whatever our mind can now understand good or bad, pain or pleasure, like or dislikes, hot or cold, rich or poor, tightness or looseness etc, is unreal but just created truths (Samuti Sacca) which are just to be used only, to be experienced only and to be known only.
They are not for grasping, attaching, centering as original reality as they are impermanent, temporary, inconstant and non-self.

By accepting and contemplating like that, our action will be action only, our experiencing will be experiencing only and our seeing, hearing, feeling, and knowing will be seeing, hearing, feeling, and knowing only without attaching them.

for 2. I make pdf file and upload it there. you can download it and read it at http://www.mediafire.com/?s59cpunbig5kxsh

I would like you to download ebooks below and read them for more understanding.

1) http://www.mediafire.com/?ke9757vm2pe99z7 (Who is culprit of all problems? & Insight meditation notes)
2) http://www.mediafire.com/?v3agries457eonj (Escape from misunderstanding)
3) http://www.mediafire.com/?gn7z54lcinhgmon (Right View and Wrong View)

with metta,
SoeWin
Awareness(mental noting) alone is not enough for enlightenment. (Ashin Tejaniya)
Created truths(Sammuti Sacca) are just to be used only, experienced only and known onlyWithout rejecting and attaching them with the idea of reality.
Vipassana (Insight meditation) is changing from the volitional action to action-only, attachment to detachment, misunderstanding to right understanding.
To Learn more....
http://www.thabarwa.org/guided-insight-mp3-talks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
chownah

Post by chownah »

Soe Win Htut ,
The title of this topic is "Letting go of the idea of letting go of something". I read the pdf file (thank you for providing that) but could not find any reference to "letting go" anywhere. I came back and re-read your original post and could find nothing that seemed to be talking about letting go of the idea of letting go of something....in fact it seems that you are commenting that the Dhammaupassana recommends letting go of things.

I'm confused....your post and the pdf you offered seem to have nothing to do with letting go of the idea of letting go of something which is the title of this topic.....does the title have nothing to do with what you want to discuss?........can you explain this?
chownah
ground

Post by ground »

Soe Win Htut wrote: He teaches the Dhammaupassana, letting go of the idea of something, someone, somewhere, sometime as reality and as of real importance.(i.e. His teaching is just trying to abandon or discard the idea(mind-action) of centering, emphasizing, and attaching upon something, someone, somewhere, sometime and dualistic knowing such as hotness-coldness, pain-pleasure, good-bad, likes-dislikes, rising-falling, tightness-looseness etc; as reality and as of real importance).

Why learn more about it? Why attach importance to teachings of this monk?
:idea:

kind regards
Soe Win Htut

Post by Soe Win Htut »

chownah wrote:Soe Win Htut ,
The title of this topic is "Letting go of the idea of letting go of something". I read the pdf file (thank you for providing that) but could not find any reference to "letting go" anywhere. I came back and re-read your original post and could find nothing that seemed to be talking about letting go of the idea of letting go of something....in fact it seems that you are commenting that the Dhammaupassana recommends letting go of things.

I'm confused....your post and the pdf you offered seem to have nothing to do with letting go of the idea of letting go of something which is the title of this topic.....does the title have nothing to do with what you want to discuss?........can you explain this?
chownah
In the book, you will see the word "abandon" frequently. In my english language knowledge, "letting go" is a synonyms of "abandoning". Right?

At first, I put the title "Abandoning the idea of abandoning something as reality" and then I changed "Letting go of the idea of letting go of something". I think it is same.

In pdf book, It mentions how to abandon(letting go) the idea(the attitude) of something, someone, individual or dualistic nature as reality by remembering and contemplating the original truth or original reality of "one citta at a time" (or) illusive creation of the constant vanishing nature (Samudaya sacca of dukkha sacca).

If you can abandon(let go) the idea of something, someone, individual or dualistic nature as reality, you can abandon(let go) the any action such as rejecting or leaving or letting go or grasping or attaching or emphasizing or thinking of something, someone, individual or dualistic nature as reality.

What the book wants to explains;
let me give an example, if a negative thinking is happened, we need to let go it or we try to stop it directly.

In Dhammanupasana, we must try neither indulge nor reject it directly.
But we must try to abandon(let go) the attitude or idea or mind-habit of emphasizing and centering and taking it as reality and real importance by remembering and contemplating the original truth of "one citta at a time" (or) illusive creation of the constant vanishing nature (Samudaya sacca of dukkha sacca).

So also positive thinking, emotion, desire, feeling or any materiality etc.

with metta,
To Learn more....
Soe Win Htut

Post by Soe Win Htut »

TMingyur wrote:
Soe Win Htut wrote: He teaches the Dhammaupassana, letting go of the idea of something, someone, somewhere, sometime as reality and as of real importance.(i.e. His teaching is just trying to abandon or discard the idea(mind-action) of centering, emphasizing, and attaching upon something, someone, somewhere, sometime and dualistic knowing such as hotness-coldness, pain-pleasure, good-bad, likes-dislikes, rising-falling, tightness-looseness etc; as reality and as of real importance).

Why learn more about it? Why attach importance to teachings of this monk?
:idea:

kind regards
If we do not learn more about the letting go(abandoning) the idea of something or someone, we will be agitated or curious or questionable or craving or in problems with the idea of something or someone good or bad endlessly.

I attach the teachings of this monk because I has known the technique about the letting go(abandoning) the idea of something or someone as reality via his teaching.
To Learn more....
ground

Post by ground »

Soe Win Htut wrote: If we do not learn more about the letting go(abandoning) the idea of something or someone, we will be agitated or curious or questionable or craving or in problems with the idea of something or someone good or bad endlessly.
You just have to follow the Buddha's teaching. There is no need for other teachings by certain monks although more and more people seem to prefer some monk's teachings to the teachings of the Buddha.
Soe Win Htut wrote:I attach the teachings of this monk because I has known the technique about the letting go(abandoning) the idea of something or someone as reality via his teaching.
And now you may be getting attached to the idea that you have learned something as reality and as of real importance and thus the technique may be defeating itself. :tongue: (Just playing the devil's advocate)

Kind regards
chownah

Post by chownah »

Soe Win Htut wrote: In the book, you will see the word "abandon" frequently. In my english language knowledge, "letting go" is a synonyms of "abandoning". Right?

At first, I put the title "Abandoning the idea of abandoning something as reality" and then I changed "Letting go of the idea of letting go of something". I think it is same.

In pdf book, It mentions how to abandon(letting go) the idea(the attitude) of something, someone, individual or dualistic nature as reality by remembering and contemplating the original truth or original reality of "one citta at a time" (or) illusive creation of the constant vanishing nature (Samudaya sacca of dukkha sacca).
..............."
Soe Win Htut,
Maybe when you were making the title you were thinking that it is important to abandon everything and as a way to emphasize this you say we should even abandon the idea of abandoning.....some people might think this is ironic so it would catch their attention and emphasize how you think that absolutely eveything should be abandoned......is this right?

Do you think we should abandon the truth of "one Citta at a time"?
chownah
ground

Post by ground »

"There is the case, Ananda, where a monk, having practiced in this way — (thinking) 'It should not be, it should not occur to me; it will not be, it will not occur to me. What is, what has come to be, that I abandon' — obtains equanimity. He relishes that equanimity, welcomes it, remains fastened to it. As he relishes that equanimity, welcomes it, remains fastened to it, his consciousness is dependent on it, is sustained by it (clings to it). With clinging/sustenance, Ananda, a monk is not totally unbound."
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kind regards
Soe Win Htut

Post by Soe Win Htut »

chownah wrote:
Soe Win Htut wrote: In the book, you will see the word "abandon" frequently. In my english language knowledge, "letting go" is a synonyms of "abandoning". Right?

..............."
Soe Win Htut,
Maybe when you were making the title you were thinking that it is important to abandon everything and as a way to emphasize this you say we should even abandon the idea of abandoning.....some people might think this is ironic so it would catch their attention and emphasize how you think that absolutely eveything should be abandoned......is this right?

Do you think we should abandon the truth of "one Citta at a time"?
chownah
Dear Chownah,

Your question is very good.
Some may think it means to abandon all good or bad.

What I mean the word "abandon" or " let go " is not to attach and cling all things including the truth but they are just to be used only, experieced only and known only.

My real meaning of the word "Letting go or abandoning" is not to attach and grasp anything such as something, someone, the truth, this way or that way but
to accept anything such as something, someone, the truth, this way or that way are just to used only, experienced only and known only.

The truth of "one Citta at a time" or whatever truth or way, are not to be attached or grasped but for utilization only, expericing only and knowing only for real enlightenment.

This is my more explanation with ebooks;

http://www.mediafire.com/trueanswer#7hb2ej9drp3g4,1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta,
To Learn more....
dhamma follower

Post by dhamma follower »

Soe Win Htut wrote:Nowadays, many meditators_yogi contemplate that mind, body, life or everything-etc; is impermanent, unsatisfactory and non-self.
In our country especially in Myanmar, there are a lot of meditation centers and people have been practicing meditation methods taught by Buddha. After some time, they can let go of some worldly attachments but they become attaching firmly one's meditation method and meditation centre. Some are even becoming in more egotism about my way, my teacher, mine, yours etc,

Sadhu!

I've had the privilege to meet Sayadaw Ottamassara and listen to his teaching directly from Him. It was a very powerful experience, as I clearly witnessed a direct "transmission" of understanding.

His teaching is not easily discernible with words, but when it happens, it is of great value !

Thanks Soe Win Htut for sharing this!

regards,
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Two things leap out of this thread for me.
The first is the tendency to assume that if we have a profound experience with a particular teacher to further assume that he or she is the acme by which to judge all teachers.
The second is the tendency from some forum members who are extremely cagey about their own background in Vipassana and who will not be drawn on the subject, and who one suspects are self taught, to react to any discussion of the experiential by attempting to reduce it to verbal formulae that they are cosy with.
Discussion of Vipassana with someone self taught or taught from books is about as much use as discussion about dentistry with a self taught dentist.