Why one meal a day?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
befriend

Re: Precepts: Not eating after mid-day / Avoiding lofty beds

Post by befriend »

alan wrote:Sleep on a nice bed, and eat regularly. Don't fall into the stupid belief that following outdated rules will make you any more spiritual, or morally superior. Thinking for yourself is a better example of how to follow the path.

i used to think for myself. i thought it was fine to kill animals. get revenge. and smash things when i got angry. then i humbled myself, saw how wise buddha was listened to his advice and now im not a fool.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

daverupa wrote:One of the benefits I experience from sleeping on the floor is a readiness to wake up in the morning and stretch - filling the space left by a disinclination to remain absorbed in drowsiness.

:heart:

Having done that for over 10 years I would like to point out to you that it can lead to orthopedic issues, particularly if you sleep on your side and you have broad shoulders. Get a good mattress, if you want to be close to the ground put it on a futon base. Good luck.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

befriend wrote:if you eat less food it also helps curb lust, as well as make the mind light.
I've been a vegetarian for over 30 years and a vegan for over 15 years. My libido has never decreased.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
befriend

Post by befriend »

what does being a vegetarian or vegan have to do with eating less food?
manas

Post by manas »

Hi all,
yes I've practised the eight precepts a few times (usually this was on full moon days), and I agree they can be very useful for strengthening the mind's resolve, clarity and power. But alas, I too am chronically underweight, and I find that I cannot do it too often. Fortunately, I have discovered that skipping anger is much more conducive to spiritual development than skipping dinner. We should keep it in perspective. Between not eating dinner at night, and not yelling at someone who has just pushed us too far, my personal feeling is that giving up the outbust of anger is the more crucial spiritual practice. So, in my experience, if as a householder we find the eight precepts too stressful, and if we become snappy as a result with the people around us, then it would be better to just eat less at dinner time (ie a light easily digestible meal), than to try to fit ourselves into some kind of ideal that is really designed for a more contemplative lifestyle.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
befriend

Post by befriend »

good thinking, if we try to renounce too much at once, it will create MORE suffering, not less, and possibly lead to anger. i have experienced that.
Nicro

Post by Nicro »

daverupa wrote:One of the benefits I experience from sleeping on the floor is a readiness to wake up in the morning and stretch - filling the space left by a disinclination to remain absorbed in drowsiness.

:heart:

:toast:

Best part in my opinion.
Nori

Post by Nori »

This is a really good point. Thanks for pointing this out. When you wake up on an overly comfortable bed, you are inclined to indulge in it's pleasure (basically like having sex with it) like "ahhhhhhh" and roll around in it, stuffing your face in the pillow, or comforter, and rubbing your face on the soft sheets; and like you said inclined to oversleep.

---

I think many people are missing the point of the ascetic practice:

Indulgence in sensual pleasure makes a person weak and more prone to aggravation, anger and discontent.
Dhammapada - Yamakavagga (Dhp 1:7,8):

"He who lives looking for pleasures only, his senses uncontrolled, immoderate in his food, idle, and weak, Mâra (the tempter) will certainly overthrow him, as the wind throws down a weak tree.

He who lives without looking for pleasures, his senses well controlled, moderate in his food, faithful and strong, him Mâra will certainly not overthrow, any more than the wind throws down a rocky mountain."
This is clear to me from observation.

---

Some other benefits I can think of from eating once a day:

- According to the Buddha, pleasure, and the delight of this world is supposedly what keeps bringing us back to this existence, thus having to experience grief, decay and death over and over again. Eating is indeed one of the great pleasures and delights of this world. So by eating just what is necessary, one is detaching himself from this world.

- One's mind is not constantly preoccupied, thinking "what will I eat?", taking the time to purchase, prepare and eat it (which actually occupies much time and takes much effort), leaving time and energy to pursue other objectives.

A story: I was once out in the mountains backpacking. I was out for a few days and I began to run out of food. Toward the end of the trip, I was enjoying myself so much that I decided to stay a few more days by eating less food. During the last two days, I only had a little oatmeal for the morning. While I felt hunger at certain times, it was not too uncomfortable. What I noticed is that I didn't need to poop so often, and that it was greatly reduced. So what was happening is that my body was completely assimilating all of the food. Considering now, how much the common man poops, it goes to show how much we eat in excess. Also on the last day, I found a blueberry bush. I was astounded to experience how just a handful of blueberries nourished me. It felt like I ate a full meal. So I think when your body is in that state, it is very efficient at processing/utilizing food.
Last edited by Nori on Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Jhana4 wrote:Having done that for over 10 years I would like to point out to you that it can lead to orthopedic issues, particularly if you sleep on your side and you have broad shoulders. Get a good mattress, if you want to be close to the ground put it on a futon base. Good luck.
This is definitely a case of the variability of mileage. Correct posture is more essential than sleeping surface, and the two most common ways to negatively affect sleeping posture are too many pillows and a sagging mattress. Humans slept "on the floor" for at least 100,000 years; I found it useful to thoroughly explore this natural environment for understanding healthy sleep.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Nori

Post by Nori »

Also just to mention, even the Buddha had some straw cut to sit on before his enlightenment.

The precept is not (necessarily) to sleep on the floor; just not a high lavish bed.
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

Nori wrote:I am just wondering if anybody on the forum has followed the precepts of not eating after mid-day or avoiding lofty beds (most standard beds are considered "lofty beds") continuously for many years?

If so, it would be nice if you can share your experience on how it brought some benefit or how it may have changed your disposition.

(Also - does hunger in the evenings go away after some period of time?)
As others have already said, hunger goes away. Eating less is also beneficial for meditation retreat and for keeping the weight off if one lives a contemplative lifestyle long term.

A low bed is also not a problem, although the only boon I've noticed is that it makes for more spaciousness in one's bedroom, and moving from location to location is easier without having to move large beds.

All the best,

Geoff
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

daverupa wrote: This is definitely a case of the variability of mileage. Correct posture is more essential than sleeping surface, and the two most common ways to negatively affect sleeping posture are too many pillows and a sagging mattress. Humans slept "on the floor" for at least 100,000 years; I found it useful to thoroughly explore this natural environment for understanding healthy sleep.
Okay, you've been warned. Seriously, best of luck with that.
Cilla

Post by Cilla »

Many millions of indians still sleep on the floor. I can't even think who amongst the buddhist of his day would have slept on a lofty bed? Only the richest of people. When i was in india i went to the house of a physics professor at 5am. The whole family was still asleep on the living room floor at 5am in the morning.On another trip, i was staying in a guesthouse in the Andmans. I got the chance to notice that the owners of the guesthouse also slept on the living room floor. None of these people slept on mattresses. Just blankets.

When i got on certain trips, I tried slept one the ground on a thin but dense camping mat. I usually wake up in pain. When i was younger it was not an issue but for some reason, its become an issue as i've got older. So now i take an inflatable camping mattress which is somewhat better. But still very depriving since the width of the thing is a few inches wider than my shoulders at the widest point and it tapers off towards the feet. and the length of it is a few inches longer. It would be challenging to sleep all the rest of my days on that mattress. I don't know how the indians do it so tough.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Its all much more simple than we are making it....or perhaps need it to be.
The Dhamma is about where you are. Not being an imitation sadhu or monk.
Its about the heart ....not the thinness of the duvet. If it were then the homeless of London who sleep under railway arches would be characterised by upekkha...and most of them aren't.

Just live your dhamma. In your life as it is. Leave aside romantic notions of being a jungle hermit in an urban setting.
Eat enough, sleep enough in enough comfort . Be normal. But be aware.
manas

Post by manas »

PeterB wrote:Its all much more simple than we are making it....or perhaps need it to be.
The Dhamma is about where you are. Not being an imitation sadhu or monk.
Its about the heart ....not the thinness of the duvet. If it were then the homeless of London who sleep under railway arches would be characterised by upekkha...and most of them aren't.

Just live your dhamma. In your life as it is. Leave aside romantic notions of being a jungle hermit in an urban setting.
Eat enough, sleep enough in enough comfort . Be normal. But be aware.
These are wise words, and I gained this same understanding only after much trial, error, and dukkha.

:namaste:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.