Why one meal a day?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
daverupa

Re: Precepts: Not eating after mid-day / Avoiding lofty beds

Post by daverupa »

This article might be of interest with respect to sleeping habits. It's certainly not scientifically rigorous, but not much information on sleep is.

Discussion of its various points will likely warrant another thread; it is here simply as a reference.

:heart:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

manasikara wrote:
PeterB wrote:Its all much more simple than we are making it....or perhaps need it to be.
The Dhamma is about where you are. Not being an imitation sadhu or monk.
Its about the heart ....not the thinness of the duvet. If it were then the homeless of London who sleep under railway arches would be characterised by upekkha...and most of them aren't.

Just live your dhamma. In your life as it is. Leave aside romantic notions of being a jungle hermit in an urban setting.
Eat enough, sleep enough in enough comfort . Be normal. But be aware.
These are wise words, and I gained this same understanding only after much trial, error, and dukkha.

:namaste:
Me too Manasikara...I had my floor years and ( worse ) my futon years... :smile:

:anjali:
chownah

Post by chownah »

I don't think that not eating after mid-day and avoiding lofty beds are precepts...I think they are just rules for monks. I'm not saying that they are good or bad ideas but I think with respect to the Buddha's teachings they are just rules for monks .
chownah
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

They are precepts if you take the Eight Precepts...commonly done on retreats. And Uposatha Days.
What is not common is an attempt by lay people to live by the Eight precepts on a permanent basis.
Last edited by PeterB on Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ground

Post by ground »

Instead of "jumping right into it" renunciation of all tastes one uses to delight in may be a good practice approach leading to "Not eating after mid-day".

kind regards
ground

Post by ground »

One should be aware that practicing "right eating" may lead to the fruit of non-returning:
"In the same way, I tell you, is the nutriment of physical food to be regarded. When physical food is comprehended, passion for the five strings of sensuality is comprehended. When passion for the five strings of sensuality is comprehended, there is no fetter bound by which a disciple of the noble ones would come back again to this world.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kind regards
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Tell that to the inhabitants of Somalia....
More mechanistic twaddle.
ground

Post by ground »

PeterB wrote:Tell that to the inhabitants of Somalia....
More mechanistic twaddle.
There is no end of "arguments" against renunciation. Therefore samsara is without end.

Kind regards
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Samsara is without end anyway....gravity does not cease to exist because of the Wright brothers.
Dhamma gives us a choice, It dies not abolish samsara.
ground

Post by ground »

There is no alternative to renunciation regardless of what people being proud of having met many teachers may say.
So better to rely on the Buddha's words than on the words of proud ones.

Kind regards
ground

Post by ground »

One should also renounce fabrications ... be it the fabrication "mechanistic twaddle" as a label for renunciation or the fabrication "passive aggression" as a label for praising the Buddha's words and differentiating between them and what are not his words.

As to "love":
The word's of the Buddha are conducive objects of appreciation:
6. "Bhikkhus. Ariyan disciples in this Religion reflect thus:

"'All arahants, for as long as life lasts, eat at one time only and do not partake of food in the evening. They abstain from food at the 'wrong time'."[6]

"All of you eat at one time only and do not partake of food in the evening. You abstain from food at the 'wrong time.' For all of this day and night, in this manner, you will be known as having followed the arahants, and the Uposatha will have been observed by you. This is the sixth factor of the Uposatha.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .vaka.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kind regards
ground

Post by ground »

So to practice "Not eating after mid-day" certainly is conducive also if done only at Uposatha days or other single days.
Trying to emulate the arhats' conduct of "Not eating after mid-day" through extending the periods of this practice however may reveal exactly the lack of this fruit in all its aspects and thus provide an excellent basis for one's further practice.

Of course the same holds true for "Avoiding lofty beds":
8. "Bhikkhus. Ariyan disciples in this Religion reflect thus:

"'All arahants, for as long as life lasts, have given up lying on large or high beds. They are content with low beds or bedding made of grass.'

"All of you have given up lying on large or high beds. You are content with low beds or beds made of grass. For all of this day and night, in this manner, you will be known as having followed the arahants, and the Uposatha will have been observed by you. This is the eighth factor of the Uposatha.

"Bhikkhus. The Uposatha is comprised of these eight factors which the Ariyan disciple observes, and it is of great and glorious fruit and benefit."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .vaka.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kind regards
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

There we go...the two quotes of the Buddha given by TMingyur (thank you) would/could/should seem to be the way to go...this wanderer does... :zzz: :pig:
alan

Post by alan »

Sorry to disappoint you once again, my dear monk. Maybe one of these days you will state an opinion, instead of gritting your teeth in vain disapproval.
Friends: the best bed is the one that allows you the most restful sleep, so that you can awaken refreshed and ready to study. Any other considerations about beds is, in my opinion, a total waste of time. This absurd preoccupation with rules is completely pointless. Don't lose sleep over it!
alan

Post by alan »

As for meals, you should eat when you are hungry. Yes, digesting meals requires energy. That is a good reason to do it 3 or 4 times a day, in small portions, rather than once only. That way, you burn energy more efficiently.
Going to bed hungry, and sleeping poorly, does not make you more aware. It does not make you a better student. What does it do, besides making you feel morally superior?