Rules for nuns

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Cilla

Rules for nuns

Post by Cilla »

Can anyone point me to the whole list of rules for nuns. I am curious. I know there is a lot of them. I'd really like to read that list.
mikenz66

Re: Rules for nuns

Post by mikenz66 »

Bhikkhunī Pāṭimokkha
The Bhikkhunīs' Code of Discipline
translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... -pati.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Mike
Cilla

Post by Cilla »

Thanks for that . I"ve just had a quick look. Pretty scary. Pretty culturally and historically specific aren't they. I wonder if there has ever been any move to update them.
robertk

Post by robertk »

Yes I wonder who dreamed them up?
You seem deepy confident in your wisdom so maybe you can go through and cut out half of the really dumb ones .
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Cilla wrote:Thanks for that . I"ve just had a quick look. Pretty scary. Pretty culturally and historically specific aren't they.
Why would you think that the teachings would not exist within a cultural context. Given that women, in India at that time, were seen to be not much above chattel, the inclusion of women, even with these additional rules, which were a concession to the sexism of the day, the inclusion of women into the sangha and the inclusion of a body of texts by women into the Pali Canon was extremely radical at the time.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

robertk wrote:Yes I wonder who dreamed them up?
You seem deepy confident in your wisdom so maybe you can go through and cut out half of the really dumb ones .
Eight great precepts hanging on the wall, if one great precept would accidentally fall, there'd be seven great precepts hanging on the wall.
If one great precept should accidentally fall, there'd be nun at all.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

:rofl: thank you, Bhante
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
robertk wrote:Yes I wonder who dreamed them up?
Eight great precepts hanging on the wall, if one great precept would accidentally fall, there'd be seven great precepts hanging on the wall.
If one great precept should accidentally fall, there'd be nun at all.
Does this refer to the eight garudhamma rules? Because those rules pretty much apply solely to Mahapajapati...
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]