Life in a Theravadin country

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I've not yet had the opportunity to travel to any countries that are traditionally Theravadin (e.g. Sri Lanka, Burma/Myanmar, , Thailand). Would anyone who has spent time in one of the countries care to tell us a little about their experiences there and how Theravada Buddhism fits into and moulds the local culture?

Thank you for those who already gave wonderful responses at http://lotuscafe.proboards55.com/index. ... &thread=71 - I have read and valued each and every one.

Metta,
Retro.
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
dragonwarrior

Re: Life in a Theravadin country

Post by dragonwarrior »

Hi Retro, actually I've never been to those countries, but as I heard from some of my friends, people in Thailand are so warm and friendly (they smile :) and laugh :lol: a lot). There are a lot of temples, golden stupas, and other Buddhist architectures. Since 95% of Thailand's population is Buddhist, pindapata is not only done in events like Vesak or Kathina (like in my country), but pindapata is a part of daily life. And I believe it's also done in other Buddhist country as well. Monks could be seen in public places like markets, walk around the streets, just like ordinary people, and they even smoke :? is smoking allowed? :?: Well, I think we just should come and see ourselves, ehipassiko ;)
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Wonder how this guy would respond.
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Element

Post by Element »

Insightful video about Buddhist life in Thailand.

Celebrating 25 Centuries Of Buddhism - Ajaan Lee Dhammadharo
GrahamR

Post by GrahamR »

Hi

My wife spent 25 years in Thailand so if there is anything specific I can ask her for you.

I've been a few times as a tourist and as our Indonesian friend says it's full of temples and stupas (Chedi) which are fascinating and often very beautiful. Monks are like most Thai people very welcoming to foreigners.

People are generally very friendly, even if most can't speak much English. I would generally try and ask groups of school kids for help, as they would usually find it fun.

I can't stand Bangkok for more that a few days, it's just too polluted and my daughter ended up seriously ill as a result. If you smoke 40 cigarettes a day, you might not notice.

With metta

Graham
With metta :bow:
Graham
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

just to nit pick :rolleye:

but thailand is 95% theravada buddhist

that 95% doesnt count the many mahayana buddhists there as well (mostly chinese and vietnamese)
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi JC,
jcsuperstar wrote:just to nit pick :rolleye:

but thailand is 95% theravada buddhist

that 95% doesnt count the many mahayana buddhists there as well (mostly chinese and vietnamese)
Are you sure of that?

It seems unlikely to me; the ethnic Chinese here are highly integrated with the Thai mainstream and pursue much the same sort of Buddhist activities as Thai Theravadins. In a survey I just can't picture many of them self-identifying as a different sort of Buddhist to that of the ethnic Thais. The typical Chinese here will support a Chinese Mahayana temple, but his dealings with it will likely be limited to fortune-telling and funerals; if he starts to take the Dhamma seriously, then he'll seek instruction from a Theravada teacher.

The ethnic Vietnamese seem to be rather more insular than the Chinese, but their numbers, even in Bangkok, are barely sufficient to support more than a handful of temples.

Moreover, I can't picture many Thais describing themselves as Theravada Buddhists. Setting aside scholar monks and the better educated laity, the word Theravada won't even be in most Thais' passive vocabularies. If you ask them to specify what sort of Buddhism they practice, the answer is more likely to be "Thai Buddhism."

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

its just what i read, it always says 95% theravada the other 5% are made up of mahayana, islam, xtions etc
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi JC,
jcsuperstar wrote:its just what i read, it always says 95% theravada the other 5% are made up of mahayana, islam, xtions etc
I suspect the figure of "95% Theravada" is based upon the last census, taken in 2000. It would, however, be a misreading of the data, for the survey's question on religious affiliation didn't distinguish between Buddhist schools. See here for the full figures.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
GrahamR

Post by GrahamR »

Dear all,

My wife is a half Chinese Thai, but would see herself as a normal Thai Buddhist, I think the majority of Chinese in Thailand think that way. She would sometimes also go to a Chinese temple.

Graham
With metta :bow:
Graham
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

I lived in sri lanka for many years. The culture is so infused with buddhist values, to live in such a culture is to 'humanized' all over again. People actually smile much more and smiles are expected after every transaction. People are more laid back (possibly one of the reasosns thouse countries arent more materially developed) and are able to let go. They are less ambitious somehow. Karma and rebirth are more readily accepted. People venerate monks and even lay people who practice the dhamma seriously. The island is dotted with temples ancient and new, some forest monasteries others catering to the elite in the capital. You grow up learning buddhism in school- it is taught as subject. You respect your parents more- and worship them. To live in a buddhist culture means that half the practice is done for you by the environment. There are buddhist channels on tv now. Once a month is full moon holiday where the radio and tv channesl will be full of buddhist sermons by various monks exploring every topic under the sun. People will go to buddhist temples and offer incense and flowers. Others may meditate. There are more and more meditation centres popping up everywhere and the layity is practicing meditation more than ever. Young people after their Alevels go on retreats. When the vesak festival comes around the whole isalnd goes into festive mode- it is a festival of light symbolizing the light of wisdom the buddha gave to the world. Every house will have lanterns and coloured lights. Some organisations will erect giant strucutres with with 'jataka' stories on them and multi coloured lights.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/550700 ... kU?start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is not to say that everything is rosy in the third world. There is war, bombs going off, illness, the rupee depreciating, people working very hard everyday, sometimes seven days of the week. It is difficult, but people are less stressed and somehow happier as they have close families and friends. :group:
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha