Wrong speech on this forum

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Sacha G

Wrong speech on this forum

Post by Sacha G »

Hello friends
Just a short post to say that, though I appreciate this forum very much, I'm a bit disappointed by the way some here write to others. Indeed, some speak with harsh words, wanting to be right at all cost, and being sarcastic. I saw also some complaining that they didn't dare to ask questions anymore, because they were automatically attacked by others. Isn't it sad?
I think it's also a reason why some women here don't want to post messages. Happily a majority seems to continue with speaking gently and listening to others.
Well, that was just a thought of mine.
Sacha :group:
Pali and Theravada texts:
http://dhamma.webnode.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiltbillings

Re: Wrong speech on this forum

Post by tiltbillings »

Sacha G wrote:I think it's also a reason why some women here don't want to post messages. Happily a majority seems to continue with speaking gently and listening to others.
Do all women always speak gently and listen to others? All men do not? I am guessing the best you can do here, or the best any of us can do, is to follow the dictum attributed to Gandhi of being the you want to see in the world.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Sacha G

Post by Sacha G »

Well: I admit my text had a double meaning. "A majority" was "a majority of the participants", i.e mainly male.
:bow:
Pali and Theravada texts:
http://dhamma.webnode.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Oh goody...a nice meta discussion. We havent had one of those for weeks.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

A perfect example, eh Sacha G?...
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

I guess I kind of approach these fora as well as the posters here in a similar ways to bargain bins. There is lots of trash but an occasional treasure! Don't let the trash distract you. We also don't know the intention and the manner in which the posts are written (no body language or intonation to accompany them) so it is best not to infer negative intent wherever possible and try not to pigeon-hole posters into roles. Otherwise a treasure may be missed just because it is wrapped in an old oily rag!

The other thing I found useful is to concentrate on my reactions. This is good practice and far more useful than shaking my fist at an anonymous "rude" poster across the interwebs. :D
_/|\_
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

I just figure if I want to be able to choose who I hang out with I go out in public. Then I can walk away from annoying people--which the older I get becomes a larger and larger subset of the population it seems. The problem with Internet fora is when you allow everyone in, that's exactly what you get, and you either have to put up with everyone or leave the forum. There used to not even be an Internet; I wonder what people did then? Oh yeah: they had hobbies. :toast:

M4
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
befriend

Post by befriend »

i have a question i may be wrong. did buddha refer to some people as fools. did he say in a sutta, he who does evil will suffer in this lifetime and feel shame, and when he dies the fool will go to hell. is this correct?
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello befriend,

All of these Suttas refer to ‘’fools’’:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/search_r ... =fool#1218" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

cooran wrote:Hello befriend,

All of these Suttas refer to ‘’fools’’:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/search_r ... =fool#1218" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
...but remember that doesn't mean the Buddha often said to anyone, 'You are a fool,' let alone, 'How on earth did you come to such a stupid conclusion? You must have been born with half a brain and then forgotten to use it!' or anything remotely like it. That kind of speech is not Right Speech by any measure. It is also very poor, unproductive teaching style, and the Buddha's teaching technique (quite apart from the content of his teaching) was brilliant. (As a teacher myself, I tend to notice tricks of the trade. I bow to his skill. :bow: )
Without even clicking on Cooran's link, I'm willing to bet that you will find teachings like, 'The man who does X is a fool, but you wouldn't do that yourself, would you?' or, 'This is what happens to the fool in his next life.' That is, the 'fool' is someone else, and usually someone not even present, not the student.

Getting back to the OP:
I also have been saddened and/or irritated by the rudeness of some people here. Daily life is an opportunity to practice Right Speech, as we should know. DW should be an opportunity to enjoy it and see its benefits as well as practice it.

:namaste:
Kim
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

When reading people's posts...

If you assume the worst, you'll find all manner of distasteful things in people's posts.

If you assume the best, you'll find much of value and interest.

I'm inclined to believe that people wouldn't come to a Buddhist forum, if they didn't have a genuine interest in spiritual cultivation... and if someone does have a genuine interest in spiritual cultivation, then I'm sure there's a lot we can learn from each other.

If people's posts are a violation of the Terms Of Service, please report them using the Report Post function. (see Terms of Service for more details).

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Just a gentle reminder of section 2 of the Terms Of Service, particularly the reference to " meta discussion..."

:anjali:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Peter,
PeterB wrote:Just a gentle reminder of section 2 of the Terms Of Service, particularly the reference to " meta discussion..."
In most topics, discussion of such nature is meta-discussion, hence, people shouldn't do it elsewhere.

When however, discussion of this nature is the topic itself, then it's on topic.

How long such a topic remains open for though remains to be seen... it depends if anything positive comes of it.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Zom

Post by Zom »

[3] In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, beneficial, but unendearing & disagreeable to others, he has a sense of the proper time for saying them.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
When reading people's posts...

If you assume the worst, you'll find all manner of distasteful things in people's posts.
If you assume the best, you'll find much of value and interest.
Absolutely true, and a continual risk - or trap - in online discussions is reading posts in the wrong tone of voice. Jokes and sarcasm are often hard to identify as such (please use lots of smilies, folks) but it is also very easy to read a plain statement of fact or opinion as an attack, e.g. "I like apples," may become, in the reader's mind, "I like apples and anyone who doesn't is just plain stoopid :guns: " although in the writer's mind it was, "I like apples and I know you like oranges but isn't it wonderful that we all like different things :group: "

I guess we need to be willing to use as many words as we need to make ourselves clear, and to make sure we don't make unfair assumptions.

:namaste:
Kim