PC accepted by all traditions & school as authentic teaching

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom

PC accepted by all traditions & school as authentic teaching

Postby mirco » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:24 pm

Hi,

maybe someone can help me out:

I can remember having heard, that, not so long ago, there has been a meeting/convention, where representatives of many (all?) traditions have agreed, that the pali tipitaka is accepted the original teaching of the Buddha and is so to be use at least as the foundation for all traditions/schools ?

Does someone maybe has any details on that?

Best Regards,
Mirco
I get what I give
mirco

Re: PC acceptet by all traditions & school as authentic teaching

Postby daverupa » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:32 pm

You're thinking of this.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:39 pm

Greetings Mirco,

It's a question that might be well asked over at Dharma Wheel - http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewforum.php?f=77 - to hear what Mahayanists have to say about it (after all, this is the "Discovering Theravada" section, so of course Theravada includes the Pali Canon).

I doubt you would find many Mahayanists accepting the Abhidhamma PItaka (the third basket of the Pali Canon) as "the original teaching of the Buddha and is so to be use at least as the foundation for all traditions/schools", but don't take my word it... best ask them.

:arrow:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:57 pm

retrofuturist wrote:I doubt you would find many Mahayanists accepting the Abhidhamma PItaka (the third basket of the Pali Canon) as "the original teaching of the Buddha and is so to be use at least as the foundation for all traditions/schools", but don't take my word it... best ask them.

That's certainly true. Different schools have different canons and none of the lists on the Wikipedia page that Dave linked to give precedence to any particular canon.

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Re: PC accepted by all traditions & school as authentic teaching

Postby mirco » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:59 pm

Thanks for the answers so far.

:-)
I get what I give
mirco

Postby mirco » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:17 pm

daverupa wrote:You're thinking of this.

Yeah, I was thinking of that. No Canon agreement in there. I see.

I get what I give
mirco

Postby PeterB » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:59 am

mirco wrote:Hi,

maybe someone can help me out:

I can remember having heard, that, not so long ago, there has been a meeting/convention, where representatives of many (all?) traditions have agreed, that the pali tipitaka is accepted the original teaching of the Buddha and is so to be use at least as the foundation for all traditions/schools ?

Best Regards,
Mirco

Dzogchen would see many of those points as provisional, rather than as axiomatic.
PeterB

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:29 am

Greetings,

As this topic has gone as far as it can go in a "Discovering Theravada" capacity, it's going to be moved out.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Zom » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:33 pm

Generally yes. But - from my expansive discussions on Dhamma/Dharma with mahayanists, I noticed that when you give them some direct sutta quotation from Pali Canon - they just don't listen, don't take it as a proof, as an argument, and continue to think that only mahayana statements are correct. That is to say - they will agree with suttas only when they fit in their mahayanist views. If there is a controversy - they just don't listen. :|
Zom

Postby cooran » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:08 pm

Retrofuturist said: I doubt you would find many Mahayanists accepting the Abhidhamma PItaka (the third basket of the Pali Canon) as "the original teaching of the Buddha and is so to be use at least as the foundation for all traditions/schools"

Different schools have different Abhidhammas:
http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Abhidharma

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Return to Theravāda for the modern world