Meditation on the breath leading to insight? Help please!

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
JadeRabbit

Meditation on the breath leading to insight? Help please!

Post by JadeRabbit »

Hello to all,

Although I've been interested in Buddhism for 5 years or so, I've only recently become interested in the Theravada tradition (having followed Tibetan previously). I have also only had a consistent daily sitting meditation practice for 8 months or so.

My ignorant question is, is there a time when meditation on the breath leads to insight meditation (vipassana?).

Most books I have read discuss breathing meditation only and little on insight. From my understanding, breathing meditation should only be a preliminary, and I should then carry out some form of contemplation? (hopefully leading to insight).

Thanks in advance.

:namaste:
Fede

Re: Meditation on the breath leading to insight? Help please!

Post by Fede »

look at this thread for starters.... ask any questions you want.

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Please see A Manual of Respiration by the late Venerable Ledi Sayādaw, particularly the section on How to Proceed to Insight.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
JadeRabbit

Post by JadeRabbit »

Thank you both.

:namaste: