Wrong speech on this forum

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Spiny O'Norman

Re: Wrong speech on this forum

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

Sacha G wrote:Hello friends
Just a short post to say that, though I appreciate this forum very much, I'm a bit disappointed by the way some here write to others. Indeed, some speak with harsh words, wanting to be right at all cost, and being sarcastic.
I've had the same thoughts.

Spiny
ground

Post by ground »

-
Last edited by ground on Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Jhana4 wrote:My apologies for interrupting the penis waving contest now in progress. Despite the large amount of antagonistic noise on DW ( some of it coming from some of the admins in addition to the readers ) I've found some really useful gems among the posts.
he said, adding to the noise of which he complains.

One of the oddly interesting things I have seen over the time I have been online from 300 baud modems to now is the pointy complaints about pointy exchanges, which simply adds further to the pointyness of what may be going on.

But, however, the point made here, by J4, beyond the real or imagined pointyness one might find in an exchange is an excellent point may be missed by taking the real or imagined pointyness of an exchange as being the point. We may need to forgive ourselves and our brothers and sisters their small failings in this regard in order to get to the real point. As Gandhi said: "We need to be the change we wish to see in the world [or in this small electronic world in which engage]."
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ben

Post by Ben »

Moderator Note:

A good rule of thumb is to be mindful of your own behaviour and to think twice before posting anything.

If you see anything that you believe warrants attention, please feel free to click on the report button associated with that post
(!)

Furthermore if you are concerned regarding a moderation/administration decision or action, please follow the Dhamma Wheel complaints procedure: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1846" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for your cooperation.

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Jaidyn

Post by Jaidyn »

Do not write posts with sarcasm directly or indirectly.

What is the point of sarcasm? Anyone defending it from a Buddhist standpoint?

Sarcasm is just evidence of the shortcomings in the person expressing it, and even more: an indication that the person expressing sarcasm is not aware of it, or not insightful enough to abandon it. Any belief in the own spiritual progress that is concurrent with expressions of sarcasm must be questioned as a self-delusion. A mind giving rise to sarcasm is not a mind of wisdom, and a mind of non-wisdom believing it has spiritual progress is extensively deluded.
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

Another opinion is that sarcasm is the result of people feeling like they have been silenced or feeling like they have not been heard.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

There are a couple of posters on this forum who imo almost always go for the inane or provacative. They are on my foe list so i never have to see their posts if im logged in.

Come to think of it, if you could add mods to the ignore list this forum would be just about perfect.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

If I could add myself to the ignore list this forum would be almost perfect. Hell, I even tried banning myself once when I was a mod on another forum but it didn't work dammit!

(oops, "inane" you said, eh? I think I just made it to that list... :toilet: )
_/|\_
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

m0rl0ck wrote: Come to think of it, if you could add mods to the ignore list this forum would be just about perfect.
It is good to see you feel we are doing a good job. We try and it is not always easy, but there is an easy answer to your mods problem: If the name is red or green, ignore the msg that goes with it.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

tiltbillings wrote:
m0rl0ck wrote: Come to think of it, if you could add mods to the ignore list this forum would be just about perfect.
It is good to see you feel we are doing a good job. We try and it is not always easy, but there is an easy answer to your mods problem: If the name is red or green, ignore it.
Actually i do think you all do a pretty good job considering what you ahve to deal with. No offense intended, just having a little fun :)
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

m0rl0ck wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
It is good to see you feel we are doing a good job. We try and it is not always easy, but there is an easy answer to your mods problem: If the name is red or green, ignore it.
Actually i do think you all do a pretty good job considering what you ahve to deal with. No offense intended, just having a little fun :)
Absolutely no offense taken, and your kind words are appreciated.

Spiny O'Norman

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

Sacha G wrote:Well: I admit my text had a double meaning. "A majority" was "a majority of the participants", i.e mainly male.
:bow:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumpy_Old_Men_(TV_series" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

:tongue:
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

Spiny O'Norman wrote:
Sacha G wrote:Well: I admit my text had a double meaning. "A majority" was "a majority of the participants", i.e mainly male.
:bow:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumpy_Old_Men_(TV_series" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

:tongue:
You are probably right, but had a man written the same thing he would be labeled and guilted as "sexist" ( defacto synonym for "bad person" ).
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
chownah

Post by chownah »

I've got something to say:

Four score and seven years ago our forefathers brought.........wait a minute.....I'm putting the WRONG SPEECH ON THIS FORUM!!!!!

hahahahahhhahahaha
chownah
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

chownah wrote:I've got something to say:

Four score and seven years ago our forefathers brought.........wait a minute.....I'm putting the WRONG SPEECH ON THIS FORUM!!!!!

hahahahahhhahahaha
chownah
That is actually quite funny. Thanks.