PC accepted by all traditions & school as authentic teaching

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
mirco

PC accepted by all traditions & school as authentic teaching

Post by mirco »

Hi,

maybe someone can help me out:

I can remember having heard, that, not so long ago, there has been a meeting/convention, where representatives of many (all?) traditions have agreed, that the pali tipitaka is accepted the original teaching of the Buddha and is so to be use at least as the foundation for all traditions/schools ?

Does someone maybe has any details on that?

Best Regards,
Mirco
daverupa

Re: PC acceptet by all traditions & school as authentic teaching

Post by daverupa »

You're thinking of this.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Mirco,

It's a question that might be well asked over at Dharma Wheel - http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewforum.php?f=77" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - to hear what Mahayanists have to say about it (after all, this is the "Discovering Theravada" section, so of course Theravada includes the Pali Canon).

I doubt you would find many Mahayanists accepting the Abhidhamma PItaka (the third basket of the Pali Canon) as "the original teaching of the Buddha and is so to be use at least as the foundation for all traditions/schools", but don't take my word it... best ask them.

:arrow:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

retrofuturist wrote: I doubt you would find many Mahayanists accepting the Abhidhamma PItaka (the third basket of the Pali Canon) as "the original teaching of the Buddha and is so to be use at least as the foundation for all traditions/schools", but don't take my word it... best ask them.
That's certainly true. Different schools have different canons and none of the lists on the Wikipedia page that Dave linked to give precedence to any particular canon.

:anjali:
Mike
mirco

Re: PC accepted by all traditions & school as authentic teaching

Post by mirco »

Thanks for the answers so far.

:-)
mirco

Post by mirco »

daverupa wrote:You're thinking of this.
Yeah, I was thinking of that. No Canon agreement in there. I see.

PeterB

Post by PeterB »

mirco wrote:Hi,

maybe someone can help me out:

I can remember having heard, that, not so long ago, there has been a meeting/convention, where representatives of many (all?) traditions have agreed, that the pali tipitaka is accepted the original teaching of the Buddha and is so to be use at least as the foundation for all traditions/schools ?

Best Regards,
Mirco
Dzogchen would see many of those points as provisional, rather than as axiomatic.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

As this topic has gone as far as it can go in a "Discovering Theravada" capacity, it's going to be moved out.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Zom

Post by Zom »

Generally yes. But - from my expansive discussions on Dhamma/Dharma with mahayanists, I noticed that when you give them some direct sutta quotation from Pali Canon - they just don't listen, don't take it as a proof, as an argument, and continue to think that only mahayana statements are correct. That is to say - they will agree with suttas only when they fit in their mahayanist views. If there is a controversy - they just don't listen. :|
cooran

Post by cooran »

Retrofuturist said: I doubt you would find many Mahayanists accepting the Abhidhamma PItaka (the third basket of the Pali Canon) as "the original teaching of the Buddha and is so to be use at least as the foundation for all traditions/schools"
Different schools have different Abhidhammas:
http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Abhidharma" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---