YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

difference between bhanga and nibbana - Dhamma Wheel

difference between bhanga and nibbana

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Monkey

difference between bhanga and nibbana

Postby Monkey » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:34 pm

Can anyone explain the difference between these terms (used in Vipassana by Goenkaji)?

Thank you :smile:

James the Giant

Re: difference between bhanga and nibbana

Postby James the Giant » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:03 pm

Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.

Monkey

Postby Monkey » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:21 pm

Alright thanks for the effort James, altough I have to admit it's still not entirely clear to me. To answer your question, yes I've done several (Goenka) Vipassana courses. This question arose while reading a book (For The Benefit Of Many by S.N. Goenka).
At some point it is said that bhanga must come before the Nibbanic stage. And in your post: "Achan Sopako Bodhi explains that when the first level of enlightenment is reached there can be no doubt about it. You would not need to ask if you'd attained it. In the words of another bhikkhu, "It cannot be missed.""
The doubt is gone, but I'm just wondering if I have 'missed' bhanga (I don't know if it's very distinct, or it might be really 'fast' for example).
I try not to care where I am on the path, but every now and then I wonder what the experience was. Then again, knowing this won't get me anywhere either :tongue: .

Cheerios,
Rick

James the Giant

Postby James the Giant » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:52 pm

Then,
saturated with joy,

Monkey

Postby Monkey » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:16 am

Ow no I'm not so deluded that I'm saying I'm free from delusion ;) . Yes I have served before and it's definitely a good experience (before I did that I didn't think that it would have so much depth). It's also nice to talk about it a bit. There is one book which was helpful to me called Mastering the core teachings of the Buddha by Daniel M. Ingram. He tries to clarify experiences and all in it.

Anyway, I guess it's best if I stop wondering about all of this as it won't get me anywhere. As the teacher basically says: it's just an experience..continue your practice

so yes, continue continue :smile:

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:28 am

Hi Rick,
If you've been practicing in the tradition of SN Goenka then I think its important to go have a chat with your AT about your experiences. I think that will be very beneficial for you. If you don't know an AT personally then contact your nearest centre and they should be able to put you in contact with someone in your area.
All the best,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

James the Giant

Postby James the Giant » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:17 am

Then,
saturated with joy,

Monkey

Postby Monkey » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:26 am

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the advice. I did try this twice on retreat but it tends to be quite hard to express myself in those situations. I'll send an e-mail to a centre then in order to have this clarified by an assistant teacher.

James,

I'm not buying everything that that book says, but I think it did clarify some experiences to some degree. Or in other words, he tries to do it at least (because an answer like 'it's just an experience, keep on practicing' is good advise, but not always really satisfying I guess)

Return to “Vipassanā / Satipaṭṭhāna Bhāvana”