delete account

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
befriend

delete account

Post by befriend »

i dont know how to delete my own account on this forum. how do i do that?
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
plwk

Re: delete account

Post by plwk »

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
3. Accounts will not be deleted upon request / One account per member
Sometimes if people are not happy with their experience at a forum and wish to leave, they ask to have their account deleted, along with all their posts. Member accounts will not be deleted upon request, but they can be deactivated.
The member's posts will not be deleted upon request because this would mess up the continuity of any threads in which they were involved in, and therefore cause inconvenience to other members. Members may only have one account.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Forums such as this can be, at times, a bit rough and tumble, but if you hang in there, there is also a lot that can be gotten from such a forum as this in terms of information, conversation, and most importantly support of fellow Dhamma practitioners.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi befriend, just to reiterate what others have said, we don't delete accounts on request for those reasons given. And in support of Tilt's post, it would be good for you to have a chat with one of the admins (or mods) as to your desire to delete your account so as we can get to the bottom of your discomfort here and see whether there is something we can do to improve your online experience.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

:goodpost:

Yep, happy to listen here.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

plwk wrote:
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
3. Accounts will not be deleted upon request / One account per member
Member accounts will not be deleted upon request, but they can be deactivated.
IMHO, this actually protects the person leaving. I've seen people create accounts with the same (or similar) alias as a deleted account and then go on to frame someone by posting inflammatory posts.
The member's posts will not be deleted upon request because this would mess up the continuity of any threads in which they were involved in, and therefore cause inconvenience to other members. Members may only have one account.
I know the law varies a lot, but in some places a person's post is legally considered to be their writings, which they are legally entitled to give or take away. I'm not a lawyer so my guess would be the laws that would apply would be the laws of where the server this site runs on is located.

Beyond the law, on an ethical level, a person's writing is their writing and IMO their wish to remove it should be honored, taking priority over the inconvenience of others in understanding legacy posts.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
manas

Post by manas »

Hey befriend,
it might help if you hear, that I've (very occassionally) thought about that, when I've (felt) like I've had a challenging experience online. Overcame the whole issue by not revealing too much personal info online, even here. I look at it this way now: anything you write online will (or could) be viewed by: friends, aquaintances, neutral persons, problematic persons (for self), and strangers. I wish it wasn't like this, but it is...so now, if I have something of a personal nature, I PM someone I trust, but I'm careful before publicly posting stuff, cos it's not always easy to get rid of it once it's there (I did request a certain whole topic to be deleted once, though, and the admin kindly agreed).

may you be well,

:namaste:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.