YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Killing, what should be considered killing? Bacteria, virus? - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

Killing, what should be considered killing? Bacteria, virus?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
santa100

Re: Killing, what should be considered killing? Bacteria, virus?

Postby santa100 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:33 pm

Hi Cooran, if there's a Home Depot near your home, you could just stop by to ask the folks there and get lots of valuable free consultation about your problem. You still need to identify the exact kind of borers though (your pest control professional's gonna have to do this anyway in order to find the right chemicals to kill them). Can't hurt to try the electronic devices first, they're pretty cheap to get (~10 bucks in the States, don't know the price in Australia though), and if it works, the price tag will be just a fraction of the cost of professional chemicals. Also check out the natural pest repellents site here: http://www.ghorganics.com/page9.html . In the worst case scenario, have the experts do their stuff, you wasted 10 bucks on the electronic device and maybe a few bucks on lemon/onion skins for natural repellents, but with the peace of mind that at least you've tried. Good luck..

Ben

Postby Ben » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:33 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Ben

Postby Ben » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:36 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:50 am

chownah

Postby chownah » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:54 am

Cooran,
What I do in a situation like yours is:
1. Inform them of the damage they are doing.....yes I actually will think or say "I know you are a rat from your shit and you're behavior is damaging my things and is a danger to my health."
2. Ask them to leave and inform them of the consequences....yes I actually will think or say "you must leave my house and find another home somewhere else....there are many other places you can make a home and raise your family....I wish you luck in finding a good home and peace in raising your family....if you don't go I will put poison here and in your igorance you will eat it and die."
3. Apologize to them when you find their dead body.....yes I actually will think or say "I'm sorry that you didn't understand my advise and follow it....I guess you were clinging to life just like me and so your death was filled with dukkha....I hope that I develop the wisdom to avoid such clinging."
4. Declare that it is understandable that you might meet the exact same fate and die from poisoning and if this happens it is just and appropriate and not a matter to cling to or be averse to.

Anyway this is a very wordy redition of some of the things I do often when I kill something....sometimes I don't do all of them...if I am plowing a field and see that I have severed a snake in two I often apologize for that and warn other animals to leave the field so as to avoid this.......for example....

Another way to cope with it is to withdraw momentarily and stop the arising of the delusional self....when this happens equanimity arises along with the knowledge of the way things really are.....I guess.....don't know for sure.....
chownah

Ben

Postby Ben » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:57 am

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

ground

Postby ground » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:51 am

cooran

Postby cooran » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:13 am

---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

cooran

Postby cooran » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:15 am

---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

chownah

Postby chownah » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:45 am

Fede

Postby Fede » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:39 am

"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/

chownah

Postby chownah » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:53 am

We have alot of termites in Thailand and what they do here is to remove the infested wood and then maybe spray the remaining wood in the vicinity and replace what was removed sometimes with treated wood....treated wood doesn't kill termites...they know from the flavor to not eat it I think........using treated wood is prevention in that you will not get the infestation so no need to kill. Ground floors are all concrete and the soil is treated with poison before the concrete floor is poured...again this keeps the bugs out so it is prevention...at least I think this is how it works...
chownah

Moggalana

Postby Moggalana » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:51 am

Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.

whynotme

Postby whynotme » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:48 am

Please stop following me

Return to “Sīla”