Buddhism in India

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Buddhism in India

Postby clw_uk » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:51 pm

Greetings

I have read that there is an attempt to re-establish Buddhism back in its homelands but apart from this basic info i havent read or heard anything else

Are there any signs of it "taking off"?

Which schools is most popular, Theravada or one of the Mahayana ones?

Metta
“ Your mind is likewise blocked. But the right road awaits you still. Cast out your doubts, your fears and your desires, let go of grief and of hope as well, for where these rule , then the mind is their subject." Boetius
clw_uk

Re: Buddhism in India

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:25 pm

I can not remember the name of the lead figure but if you have a scope around the FWBO site the name is there and some info on it. also the dalai lamas web page has info about it.

it is mainly the lower classes which are responding as far as I am aware.

PS was it you who lives in wales looking for a local Theravada monastery?
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby clw_uk » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:31 pm

Thanks Manapa

yeah it was me
“ Your mind is likewise blocked. But the right road awaits you still. Cast out your doubts, your fears and your desires, let go of grief and of hope as well, for where these rule , then the mind is their subject." Boetius
clw_uk

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:43 pm

clw_uk wrote:Thanks Manapa

yeah it was me

if you look on the FWBO files also there is some reference to the group also, but I believe the main group is associated with the FWBO now.

here is a monestary which may be close
http://www.satipanya.org.uk/
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby clw_uk » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:56 pm

Thanks for that i had no idea about this place :D
clw_uk

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:49 pm

Ambedkar that is the name I was thinking of to do with the Indian movement.
Cittasanto

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:46 pm

Dr. Ambedkar did quite a bit to help Buddhism, pretty much only with the fellow dalits (untouchables), in India.

S. N. Goenka has also done great work there opening Vipassana centers and his Global Pagoda.

By far, Theravada is the school of Buddhism that the Indians are choosing. There are many Vajrayanists near the Tibet border, but they mostly migrated there from Tibet.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Return to General Theravāda discussion