A question for our resident scientists

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
retrofuturist

A question for our resident scientists

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

What is the scientific name for the phenomena whereby patterns and events that happen on a micro scale, also occur in nature on a large scale? I know there's a name for it, but I've forgotten it... I promise that if someone tells me what it's called I'll make a better effort to remember the name from now on!

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Jechbi

Re: A question for our resident scientists

Post by Jechbi »

Scale invariance?

"Self-Similarity, Fractals, Deterministic Chaos and a New State of Matter"
http://www.springerlink.com/content/qx4 ... pdf?page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:yingyang:
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

From here:
All non-linear processes exhibit what is called scale invariance, meaning that the behavior of the process on any one scale is similar to its behavior on smaller or larger scales. To understand, say, the large-scale pattern of a particular non-linear process, one need only focus on its behavior on a smaller scale that is easier to observe, and one will see the same pattern at work. In the case of kamma, one need only focus on the process of kamma in the immediate present, in the course of developing heightened skillfulness, and the large-scale issues over the expanses of space and time will become clear as one gains release from them.
In terms of focus, the principle of scale invariance means that the complexities of kamma can be mastered by giving total attention to phenomena in and of themselves in the immediate present. These phenomena are then analyzed in terms of the four noble truths, the terms used in observing and directing the experience of developing the qualities of skillful action. The most immediate skillful kamma that can be observed on this level is the mastery of the very same mental qualities that are supporting this refined level of focus and analysis: mindfulness, concentration, and discernment, together with the more basic qualities on which they are based. Thus, these mental qualities act not only as supports to the focus and analysis, but also as their object. Ultimately, discernment becomes so refined that the focus and analysis take as their object the act of focusing and analyzing, in and of themselves. The cycle of action then short-circuits as it reaches culmination, and Unbinding occurs.
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Jechbi,

I don't think that was the term I've seen before, but it's a good substitute nonetheless.

Thanks.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

retrofuturist wrote: I don't think that was the term I've seen before, but it's a good substitute nonetheless.
I can't think of any other good synonyms, but perhaps this Wikipedia article will have the particular term you are looking for:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scale_invariance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
fijiNut

Post by fijiNut »

I'm no scientist but do you mean fractals?
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

Had not heard the term "scale invariance" before, but Eric Jantsch's The Self-Organizing Universe is a pretty good book, focusing on patterns and processes that occur at all levels here in our Universe. Self-Organization is the term used to describe the principle by which individual elements come together to form more complex patterns and compounded things...

"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009