The Buddha's Guide to Mental Cultivation for Trainees

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
chownah

Re: The Buddha's Guide to Mental Cultivation for Trainees

Post by chownah »

tiltbillings wrote: I assume there are practical ways doing what is said here, otherwise the catechism of the OP really doesn’t say anything.
I think that the catechism as you call it is not meant as a "how to" guide but rather as a "what to" guide and also as a way to lay out a roadmap of things that happen along the way...I'll reproduce it here:
-------------------------
SN 55.3 wrote:
"You should further develop six qualities conducive to clear knowing. [1] Remain focused on inconstancy in all fabrications, [2] percipient of stress in what is inconstant, [3] percipient of not-self in what is stressful, [4] percipient of abandoning, [5] percipient of dispassion, [6] percipient of cessation. That's how you should train yourself."
--------------------
It seems to me that the purpose of this is to show a linear representation of steps along a theoretic path from the realization of inconstancy of all fabrications through the intermediary steps ending at being percipient of cessation.....seems like the qualities are linked with each dependent on the preceding one.....so here it is itself sort of describing a process to get from here to there although it does not give the specific method to "accomplish" each of the steps..........I tried to get an online copy of SN55.3 but didn't find one.....I wouldn't be surprised if it also contained some information clarifying each of the six steps.....but of course I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't either.
chownah
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

chownah wrote:
tiltbillings wrote: I assume there are practical ways doing what is said here, otherwise the catechism of the OP really doesn’t say anything.
I think that the catechism as you call it is not meant as a "how to" guide but rather as a "what to" guide and also as a way to lay out a roadmap of things that happen along the way...
Either way, to be meaningful there really needs to be an undrlying practical application.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
chownah

Post by chownah »

Anyone got a link to SN 55.3 in it entirety?
chownah
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

chownah wrote:Anyone got a link to SN 55.3 in it entirety?
chownah
I don't think it's online...
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

Context:
SN 55.3 was spoken by the Buddha to Dighavu, a dying layperson. Prior to the section quoted, the Buddha advised Dighavu to train himself in the "four factors of stream-entry"
I will be one who possesses confirmed confidence in the Buddha thus: 'The Blessed One is ... teacher of devas and humans, the Enlightened One, the Blessed One.' I will be one who possesses confirmed confidence in the Dhamma ... in the Sangha ... I will be one who possesses the virtues dear to the noble ones, unbroken... leading to concentration.' It is in such a way that you should train yourself.
Dighavu says that "these things exist in me, and I live in conformity with those things."

THEN the Buddha goes on to say

"Therefore, Dighavu, established upon these four factors of stream-entry, you should develop further six things that partake of true knowledge." followed by the quotation in the OP.

The sutta concludes with Dighavu's death and the Buddha confirming that he attained non-returner.

I do not see this online, I have the book version Bhikkhu Bodhi translation of the SN.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

daverupa wrote:
chownah wrote:Anyone got a link to SN 55.3 in it entirety?
chownah
I don't think it's online...
Pali: http://studies.worldtipitaka.org/tipita ... 1.1/11.1.3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
German: http://palikanon.com/samyutta/sam55.html#s55_3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:coffee:

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Chownah,
chownah wrote:
I think that the catechism as you call it is not meant as a "how to" guide but rather as a "what to" guide and also as a way to lay out a roadmap of things that happen along the way...
Yes, that's what I was trying to say (I think!).

The suttas are reasonably clear on what the results are. As far as details such as (supposing one decided to pick anapanasati as an aid to discerning impermanence and so on) where one should pay attention to the breath, whether one should control one's breathing or not control one's breathing, and so on, is either:
  • 1. Simply a matter of personal taste and experience (of students and or/teachers); or
    2. Important, and only a select few have figured out how to decode such information from the suttas.
:anjali:
Mike
alan

Post by alan »

I've never been a big fan of adherence to technique, which may be why I love the seven factors more than anything else. They leave open some positive creativity on the part of the meditator.
alan

Post by alan »

In other words, you have to make it real for your self. That requires some creative awareness. Learn as much as you can, apply the techniques where appropriate. But the adventure is yours alone.