Homosexuality in the early Buddhist Sangha

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Bankei

Re: Homosexuality in the early Buddhist Sangha

Post by Bankei »

There are plenty of gay monks in Thailand today. by this I mean openly homosexual men. Most of them refrain from sexual activity while a monk though.

I once had my hair cut by a ladyboy (with breasts) and she had just been a monk to 'thaam bun' for her deceased father.
-----------------------
Bankei
cooran

Post by cooran »

Bankei said: Most of them refrain from sexual activity while a monk though.
So do most of the heterosexual monks.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

The Buddha was more tolerant of lesbianism than male homosexuality. Nuns who were caught in lesbian practices were not expelled from the order. They must confess to the fellows about their practice, and then the offence will be redeemed. (Vin. IV, 261)
I would like to read this but can't find it anywhere - does anyone actually have a reference for Vin.IV, 261 which was mentioned in the original article, please ?
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Aloka,

All I can find in the rules http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... -pati.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
is:
31. Should two bhikkhunīs share a single bed, it is to be confessed. [Cv.V.19.2]

32. Should two bhikkhunīs share a single blanket or sleeping mat, it is to be confessed. [Cv.V.19.2]

there is also:
4. (The insertion of) a dildo is to be confessed.

For Bhikkhus: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .html#sg-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1. Should any bhikkhu — participating in the training and livelihood of the bhikkhus, without having renounced the training, without having declared his weakness — engage in sexual intercourse, even with a female animal, he is defeated and no longer in affiliation.

1. Intentional emission of semen, except while dreaming, entails initial and subsequent meetings of the Community.

Note that "to be confessed" is less serious than "meetings of the community" or, of course, "defeated".

:anjali:
Mike
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Thanks Mike.

:anjali:
BlueLotus

Post by BlueLotus »

Sounds strange that the Buddha would be selective about this considering that he is free from prejudice.

I also find some parts of the bhikkuni vinaya shocking. For instance it says that a female monk should get up from her seat no matter how senior she is when a monk walks in even if he is just ordained. Isn't this sexist? Do you think the Buddha set these rules?
Fede

Post by Fede »

No.

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php ... 66,0,0,1,0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;