Thailand travel in the current political climate

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
forestmat

Re: Thailand travel in the current political climate

Postby forestmat » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:35 am

Things are just fine here...

You know if you come to Thailand there is a lot to be said for sometimes adopting the Thai attitude of "It's not my business"

There is no reason to think too much about the reds or the yellows, just get on with what you came to Thailand for, and "don't think too much" (another Thai favourite)

With Metta

forestmat

cooran

Postby cooran » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:47 am

Hello all,

Here is part of an email I received from a close friend who lives in Bangkok.:

"Its amazing to see the effects of the terrible greed of one man and how much damage he can inflict on the country to satisfy his lust for power. I feel sorry for him, somewhat, because no one, except his family, perhaps, will remember him with any fondness and that he's so much in the thrall of dosa and akusala that there will probably never be any turning toward kusala, at least in the foreseable future. That people are willing to believe his lies, especially foreigners outside of Thailand who don't really know what went on here, is amazing. Well, it is not called amazing Thailand for nothing. Luckily the government was able to diffuse the violence and wanton destruction which severely damaged anything the Red Shirts might have stood for. However, they are home for the Songkran holiday and let's see what happens after that.
If you would like to follow events in Thailand here are 2 excellent websites which will give you up to the minute and accurate news of events: http://www.manager.co.th (Thai language) and http://www.thailandoutlook.tv (English language). Please pass that on to others who would like to know the truth."

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

gavesako

Postby gavesako » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:37 am

This is a first-hand account of what happened in BKK recently featuring also a photo of some Buddhist monks who joined the protests:

http://rspas.anu.edu.au/rmap/newmandala ... ed-shirts/
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

- Theravada texts
- Translations and history of Pali texts
- Sutta translations

forestmat

Postby forestmat » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:43 am

Last edited by forestmat on Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robertk

Postby robertk » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:45 am

appicchato

Postby appicchato » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:22 am

Everybody goes around and around with this...whew...I'm going to go (way) out on a limb here and air the view I get...and that's that Thais...and I mean all Thais...of all ages, and backgrounds, never, repeat, never get beyond the mental level of, say, an eight year old...maybe ten...they're kids at heart, pure and simple, and everything that goes along with that...maturity, foresight, responsibility, trust, and all the rest...all on the level of a single digit chronological age...I mean no disrespect whatsoever by this, or I wouldn't have spent half my life and over thirty years here...it's just the way I perceive the situation...that aside, I can't tell you how much I love it here...even after having been to approximately forty countries, I can't imagine living anywhere else...Viva Thailand!... :bow:

forestmat

Postby forestmat » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:51 am

Namassakarn Tahn Ajahn,

nice to see you airing your comments. Everything has to be 'Sanook" (fun) here, and if it isn't fun and happy, people don't want to know.

And I am so glad to have found this forum at last.

It is easy much more user friendly than some.

With my respects to you

Namassakarn

forestmat
Last edited by forestmat on Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

forestmat

Postby forestmat » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:06 am

forestmat

Postby forestmat » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:21 am

nathan

Postby nathan » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:39 am

All appears calm so far in Bangkok today. I will be traveling to the Marble Temple this afternoon to visit with our Venerable Dhammanando and so I will continue to remain mindful. Also, if we may widen the discussion or simply rename it to "Travel in Thailand", I can add that there does not yet appear to be a known case of the Swine Flu in Thailand and that the country appears well set to deal with this emerging situation. I will do my best to keep everyone updated as I learn more.

I would say that so long as one is careful not to say anything out of place tourists need not be any more concerned about their well being here in Thailand than they would anywhere else and in fact they can continue to expect to be very well treated and well received. I have nothing but praise for the conduct of the Thai people so far in my own case. May they continue to be well and happy.

I used the word "protection" to describe my concern that perhaps I should go to the hospital for an exam in relation to the epidemic as there are now at least six known cases in Canada. I meant this to mean that I would like to protect the Thai people from any possible infection I may have encountered. This word has a negative connotation here and should be avoided as it relates to gang or mafia activity. In the ensuing conversation, in relation to the red/yellow thing, I described myself as orange and this was well received. Most Thais would simply like to go on with their lives; continue to work and advance themselves in this world.
:anjali:
metta & upekkha
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}

Return to “Lounge”