Body of a Buddha vs. Arahant in Abhidhamma

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
tiltbillings

Re: Body of a Buddha vs. Arahant in Abhidhamma

Post by tiltbillings »

brahmabull wrote:Vasubhandu mentions in the Kosha that the Buddha's body is "Narayana" to house infinite knowledge. I'm wondering where this comes from.
Since the Kosa, a Sarvastivadin text, is rather later, well after the Sarvasitvadin Adbhidharma was and commentaries were penned, it really has no bearing here in the "Discovering Theravada" sub-forum. See the guidelines:

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9992" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
brahmabull

Post by brahmabull »

I see. Is there an unabridged English resource of Abhidhamma?
Goedert

Post by Goedert »

They have the same realization of the 4 noble truth. An arahat may not have the same knowledge as the Buddha,.The knowledge of the Buddha is imensurable.