Picking and choosing the teachings...

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Picking and choosing the teachings...

Postby mikenz66 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:03 am

Rather than clutter up the Great Rebirth Debate viewtopic.php?f=16&t=41&p=15703#p15703 I've got some observations regarding the picking and choosing of the Buddha's teachings.

I've been recently studying MN117: "The Great Forty" http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html in the last few weeks. In various talks both Bhikkhu Bodhi http://www.bodhimonastery.net/bm/about- ... ?showall=1 and Ajahn Brahmali http://www.bswa.org/audio/podcast/SuttaStudy.rss.php point out that the discussion of mundane and supermundane paths in that Sutta is directly from the Abhidhamma and those concepts don't appear in many (if any) other Suttas. So if one has the inclination to reject Abhidhamma and Commentaries and go for the "pure teachings of the Buddha" then, in fact, it's in those more abstract Suttas such as MN117 that one should be suspicious of.

Metta
Mike
mikenz66

Re: Picking and choosing the teachings...

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:43 am

I don't think we should pick and choose, but we should Look and see and decide for ourselves.
those today who are of the sutta and vinaya inclination and don't use the commentaries seam to miss that the translations of these works have been done with the use of the Commentaries and not entirely based on the sutta evidence.

cant reply anymore just about to leave for my retreat!
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby mikenz66 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:00 am

Manapa wrote:I don't think we should pick and choose, but we should Look and see and decide for ourselves.
those today who are of the sutta and vinaya inclination and don't use the commentaries seam to miss that the translations of these works have been done with the use of the Commentaries and not entirely based on the sutta evidence.

Yes, it's clear from reading footnotes that many Suttas would be difficult to translate without the Commentaries.

My particular point here is that passages such as
"And what is the right view that is without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path? The discernment, the faculty of discernment, the strength of discernment, analysis of qualities as a factor for Awakening, the path factor of right view of one developing the noble path whose mind is noble, whose mind is free from effluents, who is fully possessed of the noble path. This is the right view that is without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path.

appear to be referring to the Abhidhamma concepts of "path" as a supramundane citta.
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=hxo ... Q#PPA28,M1

Metta
Mike
mikenz66

Postby Jechbi » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:04 am

Manapa wrote:cant reply anymore just about to leave for my retreat!

Mucho Metta
:heart:
:anjali:
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Jechbi

Postby laura » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:05 am

Manapa wrote:I don't think we should pick and choose, but we should Look and see and decide for ourselves.

The thing is, when we do this, it looks an awful lot like picking and choosing.
laura

Postby Fede » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:20 pm

I "pick and choose" on the criterion of whether I understand what I'm reading!
If I don't have anyone on hand to explain things to me, I'd rather just leave it to one side until I'm more able to understand it.
It has happened to me in the past that I have tried to absorb the teachings of a particular sutta and it's just gone straight over my head.... but that coming back to it a while later, it's been more easy to understand....
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/
Fede

Postby floating_abu » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:29 pm

well said .
floating_abu

Return to Open Dhamma