Satipatthana contemplation of a corpse

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
bodom

Satipatthana contemplation of a corpse

Post by bodom »

I would like to undertake the Satipatthana contemplation of viewing a corpse. Now in this day and age it is not possible to sit in a charnel ground to do so. There are some modern meditation teachers who recommend viewing autopsy's and such and also dead animals (Ledi Sayadaw). I am worried about the morality of viewing dead bodies online. Some sites are very questionable and i would like to find one that is specifically created for the Satipatthana contemplation of viewing a corpse. I was wondering how others here practice this contemplation and if there are certain websites or other ways of practicing this contemplation that you find helpful. Thank you.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
bodom

Re: Satipatthana contemplation of a corpse

Post by bodom »

I came across this website. It does not seem vulgar or out to glorify death at all and think this could be helpful to the contemplation. If this is at all offensive or wrong to post please remove. Please share your thoughts.

http://silentmindopenheart.org/docs/cem ... html#Index" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last edited by bodom on Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

bodom_bad_boy wrote:I came across this website. It does not seem vulgar or out to glorify death at all and think this could be helpful to the contemplation. If this is at all offensive or wrong to post please remove. Please share your thoughts.

http://silentmindopenheart.org/docs/cem ... html#Index" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This series of photos is often recommended by teachers for corpse decomposition practice.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
bodom

Post by bodom »

pink_trike wrote:
bodom_bad_boy wrote:I came across this website. It does not seem vulgar or out to glorify death at all and think this could be helpful to the contemplation. If this is at all offensive or wrong to post please remove. Please share your thoughts.

This series of photos is often recommended by teachers for corpse decomposition practice.
Very good! I am glad i came across this. Thank you trike.

- BB
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

These photos used to be a lot more difficult to find. It's true that we now live in an open-source world. :smile:

I think it is a good idea to have a regular student/teacher relationship when undertaking this practice - if you don't have this, I invite you to discuss your experience with this practice here at Dhamma Wheel.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

The Five Subjects of Frequent Recollection:

1. I am subject to aging. Aging is unavoidable.

2. I am subject to illness. Illness is unavoidable.

3. I am subject to death. Death is unavoidable.

4. I will grow different, separate from all that is dear and appealing to me.

5. I am the owner of my actions, heir to my actions, born of my actions, related through my actions, and live dependent on my actions. Whatever I do, for good or for ill, to that will I fall heir.
Last edited by pink_trike on Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

The Supreme Meditation:

http://www.shambhalasun.com/index.php?o ... ew&id=1792" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

---

LIving in the Light of Death - On the Art of Being Truly Alive by Larry Rosenberg

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Light-Deat ... 482&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
S-413-2T.jpg
S-413-2T.jpg (11.58 KiB) Viewed 4664 times
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

These two books are excellent aids to corpse decomposition awareness practice:

Life in Relation to Death by Chagdud Tulku Rinpoche:

http://www.amazon.com/Relation-Death-Ch ... 977&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and...

Making Friends with Death - A Buddhist Guide to Encountering Mortality by Judith Leaf

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Friends-De ... 081&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[ neither of these are Theravada-based. Mods, please move if necessary ]
Attachments
Making Friends with Death by Judith Leaf
Making Friends with Death by Judith Leaf
51KM149T3ML._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg (11.58 KiB) Viewed 4660 times
Life in Relation to Death by Chagdud Tulku Rinpoche
Life in Relation to Death by Chagdud Tulku Rinpoche
51TJP608NWL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_-1.jpg (12.96 KiB) Viewed 4660 times
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Thanks for finding this site, i have been wanting to get some images to start this practice (my imagination doesnt seem to have same effect)

Ive been looking for images for a while but have been worried about what sites i would be going on

Metta
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
vitellius

Post by vitellius »

Two more links:
http://www.wakeupsmart.com/Asubha.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://picasaweb.google.com/bhikkhu0/As ... 7KkpQSf1MM#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Rupa really isnt that nice is it :jumping:
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

Not nice. Not not nice. Just what is.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---