Dhamma Books - where do you get yours?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
retrofuturist

Dhamma Books - where do you get yours?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I've purchased Dhamma books before from...

Buddhist Publication Society
http://www.bps.lk/

... before and found them to be very good... seemingly only charging "cost price" or thereabouts for texts and postage.

I've ordered Wisdom Publications translations of certain Nikayas (as translated by Bodhi, Nanamoli, Walshe) from Amazon because for texts like that, the discount offered by Amazon was enough to offset their ridiculous postage rates to Australia.

Where do you get yours?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
jcsuperstar

Re: Dhamma Books - where do you get yours?

Post by jcsuperstar »

amazon. wisdom cost WAAAAY too much for postage so i only use them if i can't find the book in america.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
stuka

Post by stuka »

Ebay, Fetchbook, Alibris, and a few from Barre Center and Santikaro.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings stuka,

How do you order books from Santikaro, and know what they have available?

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings stuka,

How do you order books from Santikaro, and know what they have available?

Metta,
i think he only sends them out in north america... but you can contact suan mokh for books as well.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I get mine from Wisdom books (not the publisher) in the uk mainly, http://www.wisdom-books.com/
but quite often I get free books from monestaries I visit, and as gifts, but nowadays I tend to not bother unless it is a book I want, such as a comentary or something I mainly focus on the Suttas which I have for the most part!
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I have found from my own readings, that the cheaper the book, the better the quality.

The usual thinking in this day and age is that you get what you pay for, but with the Dhamma it is different. Some authors who charge hefty fees are making a living off the selling of Dhamma. Some will even gloss over the material and 'save' some info for later books.

Free books on the other hand, are usually written by bhikkhus and bhikkhunis (and sometimes some lay people who make a living in other ways) who have only good intentions and want to teach and spread Dhamma. They pour their hearts into the books they write and do not try to 'leave anything behind' for publishing in some later book. They usually try to write the book so that the complete Dhamma is presented in one book and in readable language.

The only exception would be direct sutta translations, which because of their size must be at the higher prices, but they are worth it, such as the Wisdom publications of the Canon by Bhikkhu Bodhi.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

For those in N. America this is a good source: http://www.pariyatti.org/ But I also make use of abebooks, amazon & several comparision shopping engines like addall or fetchbook etc. to get the cheapest.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Mostly I get used books from my local used book store. Every once in a while there's a gem waiting to be discovered. For example, I have found books such as the Samyutta Nikaya, Muller's Vinaya Texts, the Visuddhimagga, the Vibhanga, the Abhidhamma Sangaha, Nyanaponika Thera's The Life of the Buddha, Nanananda Bhikkhu's The Magic of the Mind, and Prof. Gombrich's Theravada Buddhism: A Social from Ancient Benares to Modern Colombo all at the used book store. I missed out on the Jataka with commentary, though. Too expensive at the time.
"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" (AN 7.58).

leaves in the hand (Buddhist-related blog)
leaves in the forest (non-Buddhist related blog)
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Jason,
Elohim wrote:I missed out on the Jataka with commentary, though. Too expensive at the time.
It is available online now, though I forget where.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
Ben

Post by Ben »

I remember about 20 years ago sending a cheque in US dollars to BPS Kandy and waited several years for my books to arrive. It was an exercise in patience! I finally plucked up the courage and sent a letter asking what happened whereupon they promptly sent one back telling me that the post office returned the parcel, despite my redirection notice at the post office!
In the last few years I have purchased most of my books via www.dhammabooks.com in Australia where I've developed a bit of a relationsip with the owners who are good people providing an excellent service. I ordered Gombrich's 'How Buddhism Began' from an Indian clearinghouse and it arrived in record time. While I have not used them, I would not hesitate to also use www.pariyatti.org or go direct to BPS or other publishers. Occassionally its worthwhile investigating amazon as they do stock out-of-print second-hand books.
Cheers

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Ben,
Ben wrote:I remember about 20 years ago sending a cheque in US dollars to BPS Kandy and waited several years for my books to arrive. It was an exercise in patience!
It's much easier now... BPS take PayPal.

Metta,
andyebarnes67

Post by andyebarnes67 »

Forest Sangha Publications - http://fsbooks.org will send any book in their list free of charge (at least in UK as they are coming from Amaravati). But you do have the opportunity to make a donation online as able.
As I actually prefer the teachings of the Thai Forest Tradition, this is great for me, but all can benefit from their teachings, whatever lineage, or none, you follow.
Feathers

Post by Feathers »

Ooh nice find andeybarnes67, thank you for sharing!
andyebarnes67

Post by andyebarnes67 »

Feathers wrote:Ooh nice find andeybarnes67, thank you for sharing!
Your welcome. :namaste: