buddhist at a work

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
sgriff2514

buddhist at a work

Post by sgriff2514 »

When I am at work I have the tendency to get very frustrated with whats going on whether it be with co workers, customers, etc. I sometimes have to let go of people too. I dont think its possible for me to maintain my buddhist teachings at work. Any suggestions?

Shaun
retrofuturist

Re: buddhist at a work

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Shaun,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

Right Livelihood is a challenge faced by many of us. Here's a few links to existing discussions on the topic that might give you some useful ideas and insights.

Right Livelihood Dilemma
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7739" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Selling Cigarettes and Right Livelihood
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10030" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Working In Entertainment - A Right Livelihood Question
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7988" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any ideas? - Suitable Livelihood for a Buddhist
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9868" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Restaurants/Bars as Wrong Livelihood
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=696" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
chownah

Post by chownah »

sgriff2514,
I suggest doing some reading about equanimity......this is a Buddhist teaching which seems to apply directly at your situation.
chownah
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

sgriff2514 wrote:When I am at work I have the tendency to get very frustrated with whats going on whether it be with co workers, customers, etc. I sometimes have to let go of people too. I dont think its possible for me to maintain my buddhist teachings at work. Any suggestions?
There is a Zen saying that goes something like, "why be a Buddhist only at the sound of the bell?" (meditation bell/gong).

Sitting meditation is the "practice" and life itself is the "performance".

Of course it is not easy, but the work place provides plenty of challenges to maintain mindfulness, compassion, and Right Speech.

For example, when co-workers are gossiping, do we join them or maintain equanimity or at least indifference?
When customers get mad do we react back with raising our voice and getting even or do we explain things compassionately?
When a co-worker gets promoted do we get angry and jealous or are we happy with their success (mudita) ?

Lots of opportunities to apply the practice, not always easy though.
manas

Post by manas »

sgriff2514 wrote:When I am at work I have the tendency to get very frustrated with whats going on whether it be with co workers, customers, etc. I sometimes have to let go of people too. I dont think its possible for me to maintain my buddhist teachings at work. Any suggestions?

Shaun
Hi shaun,
before I became a Buddhist, I was already set in a career (of sorts) in music. So even today, I have to teach and play piano to earn a (modest) living. It can grate a little when I have to play silly, sentimental 'love songs' and other such heedless music. When I do, I try to do the job well, but not allow myself to 'get into' the spirit of the piece (music can be very seductive), while reflecting that 'by doing this, I can help take care of my kids'. Anyway, I just thought to share that yeah, work can indeed be a challenge as a Buddhist. The forest monks have to contend with mosquitoes and scorpions...we have to contend with difficult work situations. Everyone has to contend with something...Sometimes I try to look at it like that!

:namaste:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Fede

Post by Fede »

Music is actually a wonderful medium to get caught up in, and I personally feel you might like to view some pieces differently, if you read the link:

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/comme ... ent_234679" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shaun, I occasionally wear a wrist mala: it's quite a heavy-beaded one, but very feminine, (so I don't get asked much, what it is.....) and every time I use my hands, it's in evidence. Just a little visual reminder of what it's all about....
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
manas

Post by manas »

Fede wrote:Music is actually a wonderful medium to get caught up in, and I personally feel you might like to view some pieces differently, if you read the link:

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/comme ... ent_234679" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hi fede,
regarding Mozart, Beethoven, etc, I agree that such music can be uplifting and even instructive. In fact, I was trained in classical music, and still have much respect for it. I was referring to such songs whose general meaning might be summed up as "I can't bear to live without you, please come back (or I'm surely going to die)"...etc etc, or "I want your love (meaning, 'sexual favours"), and it is songs like this that people often request at weddings or parties etc. lol If only they would request Mozart or Beethoven...
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

Sgriff, you might find this of interest.
sgriff2514

Post by sgriff2514 »

Thank you so much for all of your advice. Nice having people to help me with this. Thanks again!!
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

Justsit wrote:Sgriff, you might find this of interest.
That book, "Awake At Work" is $19 at the link above, if you go to amazon you can find it used for a little bit over 1 dollar. :)
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Dear members,

Please note that off-topic posts are routinely removed without notice. Please keep your post focused on addressing the issue as described in the OP.
Thanks for your cooperation,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
ground

Post by ground »

sgriff2514 wrote:I sometimes have to let go of people too.
It seems you think you should not let go of people however it is fine to let go of people because it is nothing but letting go of how they appear to one, letting go of the feelings and thoughts that arise when meeting them, hearing them speak, seeing them move and gesticulate etc

sgriff2514 wrote:I dont think its possible for me to maintain my buddhist teachings at work. Any suggestions?
Just be aware of what is going on.

Kind regards