How can you not fear impermanence and suffering?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Gena1480

Re: How can you not fear impermanence and suffering?

Post by Gena1480 »

you have to understand that your problem will go away
you fear is impermanent, it will not last
read protection suttas
nameless

Post by nameless »

The psychologist Albert Ellis, I think in his book a guide to rational living (I don't have it with me so not 100% sure of the accuracy) says that anxiety is commonly caused by:

- overestimating the chances of something bad happening
I'm sorry for what happened to your family member, and I can't know what it's like to be in that situation. But if we look at your fear rationally, the reality is that something bad happened to a loved one, and it becomes very significant; but there all all the people who do not have such things happen to them that far outnumber the people that do. If you look at the number of incidents that actually happen in the world, the probability that some such thing will happen to you is small. Of course the POSSIBILITY is always there, it's just not very likely.

- in the event of the bad thing actually happening, overestimating the severity of the badness
It seems that the situation was severe, so maybe skip this in this particular situation. Just included it as it is applicable to other minor daily life things that might cause anxiety, in the sense that yes something I would prefer not to happen is likely to happen, but how bad is it really?

- in case it is really bad, underestimating your ability to deal with it

I suppose in summary:
Something bad happening is possible, but not very likely.
If it's likely, it might not be as bad as I imagine.
If it's as bad as I imagine, I might still be able to cope.

And I suppose well, if you can't cope, you can start worrying then, instead of worrying all the while until it happens and then worry more.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

There's some interesting enough general advice and recommendation (which I've allowed to date, since it may be of benefit to the OP) but please remember this is the Discovering Theravada forum, so where possible, please try to make reference to Theravada teachings.
...how do Buddhists handle being constantly aware that this could happen to any of us at any time, and yet *not* be constantly terrified?
Thank you for your assistance.

:focus:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Vepacitta

Post by Vepacitta »

Ajahn Sumedho actually addresses these issues in many of his talks which are available on-line - free of charge. His talks on "The Four Noble Truths" go into suffering and impermanence - as it affects our daily lives - quite in depth. Actually, you could pick up almost any of the booklets which comprise his teachings and get a very sound, Theravadin Buddhist based approach to these problems that affect us humans in our daily lives.

Personally, when I went through a rough patch many years ago, Ven. Sumedho's teachings really helped me through.

Hope that wasn't too off-topic Retro - but I always recommend Ven Sumedho's teachings for people going through every-day issues - he's so down to earth and common sense - yet strict Thera.

V.
I'm your friendly, neighbourhood Asura
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Since this is the Discovery section, I'm not inclined to share personal anecdotes, but I do want you to know that these Suttas have been helpful for me, and tenderly considering them may be of benefit here.

The bolded portions are useful as mnemonic triggers for this content.

:heart:
[url=http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an05/an05.057.than.html]Upajjhatthana Sutta[/url] - AN 5.57 wrote:
"There are these five facts that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained. Which five?

"'I am subject to aging, have not gone beyond aging.' This is the first fact that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained.

"'I am subject to illness, have not gone beyond illness.' ...

"'I am subject to death, have not gone beyond death.' ...

"'I will grow different, separate from all that is dear and appealing to me.' ...

"'I am the owner of my actions, heir to my actions, born of my actions, related through my actions, and have my actions as my arbitrator. Whatever I do, for good or for evil, to that will I fall heir.' ...

"These are the five facts that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained.

"Now, based on what line of reasoning should one often reflect [on these five reflections]...

"Now, a disciple of the noble ones considers this: 'I am not the only one...
[url=http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.001.than.html]Nakulapita Sutta[/url] - SN 22.1 wrote:
"So it is, householder. So it is. The body is afflicted, weak, & encumbered. For who, looking after this body, would claim even a moment of true health, except through sheer foolishness? So you should train yourself: 'Even though I may be afflicted in body, my mind will be unafflicted.' That is how you should train yourself."

[Sariputta:] "But why didn't it occur to you to question the Blessed One further: 'In what way is one afflicted in body & afflicted in mind? And in what way is one afflicted in body but unafflicted in mind?'

[Nakulapita:]"I would come from a long way away to hear the explication of these words in Ven. Sariputta's presence. It would be good if Ven. Sariputta himself would enlighten me as to their meaning."

[S:] "Then in that case, householder, listen & pay close attention. I will speak..."
[url=http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn47/sn47.019.than.html]Sedaka Sutta[/url] - SN 47.19 wrote:
..."Monks, a frame of reference is to be practiced with the thought, 'I'll watch after myself.' A frame of reference is to be practiced with the thought, 'I'll watch after others.' When watching after oneself, one watches after others. When watching after others, one watches after oneself.

"And how does one, when watching after oneself, watch after others? Through pursuing [the practice], through developing it, through devoting oneself to it. This is how one, when watching after oneself, watches after others.

"And how does one, when watching after others, watch after oneself? Through endurance, through harmlessness, and through a mind of kindness & sympathy. This is how one, when watching after others, watches after oneself."
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

Leafy:

One approach that might be helpful to you is to listen to some Dhamma talks by Ajahn Brahm; he can be found on youtube, for example:

http://www.youtube.com/user/BuddhistSoc ... IMWm5JnNrE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

People experiencing PTSD symptoms, or that have anxiety as part of their personality, can benefit from audio learning. Of course, reading the Suttas is a wonderful way to understand the core teachings of the Buddha, but I feel that when anxieties and fears linger, a good listen to a solid Dhamma talk can be helpful, too. A lot of people don't have a Bhante/Ajahn in their area to listen to, but we can find some excellent teachings here at Dhamma Wheel, as well as on youtube.

With Metta.
Fede

Post by Fede »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

There's some interesting enough general advice and recommendation (which I'm allowing, since it may be of benefit to the OP) but please remember this is the Discovering Theravada forum, so where possible, please try to make reference to Theravada teachings.
...how do Buddhists handle being constantly aware that this could happen to any of us at any time, and yet *not* be constantly terrified?
Thank you for your assistance.

:focus:

Metta,
Retro. :)
As one of the main culprits, I apologise.
Leafy, particular lesson which has always been of profound significance to me, was the one in the following link. I believe it was instrumental in teaching me much about dying. I'm certain it sustained me, as I sat by my father as he died.

I hope it helps....

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/noncanon ... 1-ao0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

The specific way to deal with fear is to face it, not deny it or run away from it. In your case it might be to think of that fear- recreate it in your mind- and just stay with it- see what happens. Often nothing will- the problem is only the fear- not a specific problem in the outside world. When you keep on repeatedly doing this you will see that each time it becomes a little bit less intense. You will become less fearful of your fear, and begin to feel more and more in control.

The Buddha when he was in training used to go to cemeteries and spend the night overcome his fear:
"The thought occurred to me: 'What if — on recognized, designated nights such as the eighth, fourteenth, & fifteenth of the lunar fortnight — I were to stay in the sort of places that are awe-inspiring and make your hair stand on end, such as park-shrines, forest-shrines, & tree-shrines? Perhaps I would get to see that fear & terror.' So at a later time — on recognized, designated nights such as the eighth, fourteenth, & fifteenth of the lunar fortnight — I stayed in the sort of places that are awe-inspiring and make your hair stand on end, such as park-shrines, forest-shrines, & tree-shrines. And while I was staying there a wild animal would come, or a bird would make a twig fall, or wind would rustle the fallen leaves. The thought would occur to me: 'Is this that fear & terror coming?' Then the thought occurred to me: 'Why do I just keep waiting for fear? What if I were to subdue fear & terror in whatever state they come?' So when fear & terror came while I was walking back & forth, I would not stand or sit or lie down. I would keep walking back & forth until I had subdued that fear & terror. When fear & terror came while I was standing, I would not walk or sit or lie down. I would keep standing until I had subdued that fear & terror. When fear & terror came while I was sitting, I would not lie down or stand up or walk. I would keep sitting until I had subdued that fear & terror. When fear & terror came while I was lying down, I would not sit up or stand or walk. I would keep lying down until I had subdued that fear & terror.
You would notice that the Buddha to be would keep on facing that fear, continuing to do what he was doing without doing anything to alter/distract/run away from that fear. Its tough, but it is the best way to overcome it.

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Nibbida

Post by Nibbida »

Leafy wrote:A few years ago, I saw something horrible and terrifying happen to a member of my family, and as a result became painfully aware that I am not and will never be safe, and that horrible things can happen to anybody at any time. Sort of an unpleasant, throw-you-into-the-deep-end crash course in impermanence...

Since then, I have been almost constantly consumed with fear of horrible things happening. Psychologists try to treat this by convincing you that bad things won't happen to you, which really doesn't help once you've seen first-hand that horrible things can happen to anyone. I have noticed that Buddhism seems to teach the opposite of what psychologists try to do -- psychologists try to rebuild the wall of denial that makes you feel safe, whereas Buddhists seem to work at tearing down the wall and fully accepting impermanence. Since years of therapy have done nothing to help me (I think that wall is too smashed to fix), I am ready to try the other approach. (My doctor knows and is OK with this).

...so how do you face and accept impermanence without ending up completely terrified? It's not death/non-existence that I'm afraid of... it's those other, worse-than-death things that can strike out-of-the-blue and leave someone suffering so much they wish they were dead... how do Buddhists handle being constantly aware that this could happen to any of us at any time, and yet *not* be constantly terrified?
In addition to developing awareness of impermanence, one develops other factors such as equanimity and compassion.
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

...so how do you face and accept impermanence without ending up completely terrified? It's not death/non-existence that I'm afraid of... it's those other, worse-than-death things that can strike out-of-the-blue and leave someone suffering so much they wish they were dead... how do Buddhists handle being constantly aware that this could happen to any of us at any time, and yet *not* be constantly terrified?
Impermanence can be viewed in another way- it means that even those 'wish I was dead' incidents are also impermanent- they dont last. The pain doesnt last- people move on, lives move on. On the other hand it is quite good for fear and anxiety as well. If we constantly watch the present moment 'becoming impermanent', then we know that even future moments will be like this, and that all past moments are truly gone and that there is nothing to cling to- or even to fear. In the bigger picture everything is impermanent so no point worrying about anything! :twothumbsup:

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Quiet Heart

Post by Quiet Heart »

:smile:
First, let me apologise for posting here...because I do not practice Theravada.
I hope, however, that my comments will be taken in the spirit I intend them.

My Thai wife has been going through a very stressfull time. Her father, now deceased, had three wives.
His first wife, the one she refered to as her "big mother" died a little over a month ago after a long illness.
Now, her "third mother" is ill, and probably will pass away soon. They were both in their 80's (my wife is 63 years old).
Add that to the flooding we are currently having here in Bangkok...and you can understrand the stress she is under now.
About a week she asked me why was there so much suffering and pain...impermanence... in the world.
I didn't have any real answer...but later while meditating it came to me clearly.

Consider this:

Without suffering, pain, impermanence, and such...why would a sentient being abandon his/her life in this world and start to seek a Buddhist path?
If there was no suffering, there would be no reason to abandom the (illusionary) pleasures of his/her life, would there?
And if they did not start that path, then how would they, in the fullness of time, ever reach release from the cycle of death and re-brth?

When you understand this clearly, you see the "purpose" (I hate to use that term, but I don't know how else to describe it) of suffering and impermanence.
Or you might say: (poetically)
For this purpose, and for this purpose alone, did the Buddha enter into this world;
to spin the Great Wheel of Dharma,
that by this all sentient beings might come to understand that Dharma.
And by that understanding they might gain release from the cycle of birth, suffering, death, znd re-birth.
For that purpose, and that purpose alone.

If you think carefully about that statement...then answer this question?

What is it, this YOU, who you say is afraid of "impermanence"?
:smile:
In Quietness is the beginning of all things.

When I was younger I used to think I knew all the answers. Now I would be happy to feel I could ask just one intelligent question.
chris98e

Post by chris98e »

The worst thing you can do is to overcompensate for suffering by trying to get praise for a skill such as being a musician. There's nothing wrong with being a musicaian for the journey. But there is something wrong with it if your trying to get excessive praise from the outside world. To get priase from the outside world for a performance as companionship I guess is ok. But to get praise to make others feel inferior only contributes to the suffering in the world. Sorry if this message has come up more than once. I'm trying to also learn how to take some of people's quotations and not all their posts and to put them into my posts. :smile: