metta practitioner term

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
befriend

metta practitioner term

Post by befriend »

is there a term for someone who practices metta?
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
retrofuturist

Re: metta practitioner term

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
befriend wrote:is there a term for someone who practices metta?
A Buddhist?

(That might seem like a trite response, but I think it's important to realise the Buddha promoted metta-cultivation for everyone, not just those who decide "OK, I do metta".)

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

How about just a "meditator"?
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Jhana4,
Jhana4 wrote:How about just a "meditator"?
Why even restrict it thusly? Particularly in traditional Buddhist countries, I envisage there are many people who cultivate loving-kindness through their daily activities (incl. merit-making) who do not regard themselves as partaking in "meditation".

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
manas

Post by manas »

Hi befriend,

Well I initially came up with 'unconditional lover', but that sends out the wrong message, methinks... ;)

But seriously, befriend, I think all we can do, if we wish, is just add the term 'practitioner' to whatever we do, if we want to call ourselves something...'anapanasati practitioner'...'metta-bhanava practitioner'...etc

anyway - peace - and metta, to all -
:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. What you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. - Ajahn Chah

Do not be a bodhisattva, do not be an arahant, do not be anything at all. If you are a bodhisattva, you will suffer, if you are an arahant, you will suffer, if you are anything at all, you will suffer. - Ajahn Chah

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
chownah

Post by chownah »

One who is bound for release?
chownah
Beneath the Wheel

Post by Beneath the Wheel »

mettatator.

But in seriousness, it seems like I have seen them referred to as "yogi" when a sutta is discussing someone who is pursuing any kind of meditation, not just metta.But that may be too broad a term for what you are looking for.
ground

Post by ground »

If it's the exclusive contemplative practice then "one who practices the worldly path".

Kind regards
sattva

Post by sattva »

Beneath the Wheel wrote:
mettatator.

But in seriousness, it seems like I have seen them referred to as "yogi" when a sutta is discussing someone who is pursuing any kind of meditation, not just metta.But that may be too broad a term for what you are looking for.
Actually, Beneath the Wheel, i somehow missed your reply and started to say mettatator also. Silly, I know, but why not create a new word if it fits?
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622