the great rebirth debate

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Fede

OMG! I'm not so special!

Post by Fede »

BlueLotus wrote:......
But what if there is no rebirth? What if life ends after death? I am still really confused about this
I hate to go all "Dr. Phil" on you, but one of his fine lessons is to turn to the person paralysed by the "What if..." question, and say -
"People always ask the "What if" question - but they never answer it, or accept the obvious! So take your 'what if' question, and answer it!"

So, ok BlueLotus, Answer the question for yourself:

What IF there IS no rebirth? What IF life ends after Death?

So what?
What can you do about it?
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
manas

Re: OMG! I'm not so special!

Post by manas »

BlueLotus wrote:
cooran wrote:Hello all,

Constant rebirth is scary .... this wandering-on in Samsara.
But what if there is no rebirth? What if life ends after death? I am still really confused about this
I'm going out on a limb here, and guessing that the majority of people here (and in the Buddhist world in general) have not directly seen for themselves how beings pass away and reappear according to their kamma, but rather (like myself) have faith in the Buddha's description of that, with that faith based on the fact that he seems to be right about everything else (ie, how the mind functions, how to become truly happier and at peace, etc...)

manas.

cooran, I just saw your request. sorry but I had already written this (off topic) answer...
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
chownah

Re: the great rebirth debate

Post by chownah »

retrofuturist wrote:]
... then there is no rebirth, then there is.

Metta,
Retro. :)
retrofuturist,
is this a paraphrase of a Donavan lyric?
chownah
chownah

Post by chownah »

BlueLotus wrote: But what if there is no rebirth? What if life ends after death? I am still really confused about this
I think that ending rebirth is the goal....isn't it?....for an arahant there is no rebirth...isn't that right? Does this frighten you?....just wondering....
chownah
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

chownah wrote:
BlueLotus wrote: But what if there is no rebirth? What if life ends after death? I am still really confused about this
I think that ending rebirth is the goal....isn't it?....for an arahant there is no rebirth...isn't that right? Does this frighten you?....just wondering....
chownah
Ending suffering is the goal. Saying that the goal is ending rebirth is to take one particular explication of suffering (samsara) as total when the first noble truth says a bit more on the matter.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Zom

Post by Zom »

Then there is no holy life, no path leading to the cessation of suffering, no Arahants who have put an end to rebirth, and no end to craving, aversion, and delusion. If life ends at death, then suffering ends at death, and there is no difference between an Arahant and an ordinary confused human being — both will attain the end of suffering at death.
:toast:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

chownah wrote:
retrofuturist wrote:]
... then there is no rebirth, then there is.

Metta,
Retro. :)
retrofuturist,
is this a paraphrase of a Donavan lyric?
chownah
Yes, and this is a paraphrase of a Zen saying.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Mr Man

Re: No rebirth

Post by Mr Man »

tiltbillings wrote: It looks clear to me. What I see a lot in this thread are those who cannot accept the Buddha taught rebirth because it flies in the face of what they can accept as being true and so they go through a lot of mental gymnastics to make their point (unconvincingly).
I guess it's kind of similar to the possibility that Buddhist monasticism is intrinsically sexist.

Where we are standing today do we need to have a good look to see if literal rebirth is still a relevant teaching in the same way that we look at continued gender discrimination as being unacceptable? Are these two things something that belong in a different age? Or are they fundamental?

:?:
BlueLotus

Post by BlueLotus »

chownah wrote:
chownah
Does what frighten me? :shrug:
BlueLotus

Post by BlueLotus »

Fede wrote: What IF there IS no rebirth? What IF life ends after Death?

So what?
What can you do about it?
No idea. If I knew that I wouldn't open the thread in the first place :D
Jhana4

Bodhi, Brahm, Thanisarro & Rebirth

Post by Jhana4 »

Bhikkhu Bodhi and Thanisarro Bhikku are both Americans. Ajahn Brahm is from the U.K.. All three men are exceptionally intelligent and are very, very, very well educated. Interestingly, despite the western upbringing, the intelligence and the education all 3 have a strong belief in rebirth.

I am legitimately curious as to why that is the case.

I've had the experience in my life of becoming more friendly to a belief I don't share when surrounded by people who have that belief. All of these men are monks who are surrounded by people heavily invested in a belief in rebirth. To list another reason, a crude one, people tend to "talk from their pay check". The nuclear power plant worker tends to know what the good arguments are for nuclear power. I *think* all 3 men for significant periods of their "careers" were supported by an Asian community. A community that would not be friendly to a monk being out in the open about a disbelief in rebirth. I imagine there are such monks, but they are quiet about their beliefs.

All 3 men also seem to be in their mid 50s - mid 60s, a time in a person's life when they can see the time left in their life passing quickly and the idea of dying being more than an abstraction of "someday" the way it is for the young.

The last possibility is that all 3 men have had religious experiences, for lack of a better term, that they have not told people about. It has been my experience that connected with any large community of people who meditate in an Eastern style, there is always a person who at least claims to know someone, who knows someone who had a deep personal experience they will not share in detail, but who will emphatically reassure their friend not to worry about death. Maybe this is the case with these 3 men ( and what I would like to believe ).

I'm posting this in the "great rebirth debate" thread, but I am changing the title. If it ends up in its own thread please feel free to move it.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
kirk5a

Re: Bodhi, Brahm, Thanisarro & Rebirth

Post by kirk5a »

Jhana4 wrote:Bhikkhu Bodhi and Thanisarro Bhikku are both Americans. Ajahn Brahm is from the U.K.. All three men are exceptionally intelligent and are very, very, very well educated. Interestingly, despite the western upbringing, the intelligence and the education all 3 have a strong belief in rebirth.

It seems both the polite and scientifically rigorous thing to do, would be to ask them directly, rather than engaging in dubious speculation about the genesis of their beliefs.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
Zom

Post by Zom »

Because the Blessed One is Supreme, the Dhamma is Supreme and Sangha is Supreme ,)
That is why.
Jhana4

Re: Bodhi, Brahm, Thanisarro & Rebirth

Post by Jhana4 »

kirk5a wrote:
Jhana4 wrote:Bhikkhu Bodhi and Thanisarro Bhikku are both Americans. Ajahn Brahm is from the U.K.. All three men are exceptionally intelligent and are very, very, very well educated. Interestingly, despite the western upbringing, the intelligence and the education all 3 have a strong belief in rebirth.

It seems both the polite and scientifically rigorous thing to do, would be to ask them directly, rather than engaging in dubious speculation about the genesis of their beliefs.
I don't know if they would give completely honest answers ( they don't owe me anything ) or answer me at all, but I think that is an excellent idea.
Thank You. I'm sure I can find some sort of contact link.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
tiltbillings

Re: No rebirth

Post by tiltbillings »

Mr Man wrote:
tiltbillings wrote: It looks clear to me. What I see a lot in this thread are those who cannot accept the Buddha taught rebirth because it flies in the face of what they can accept as being true and so they go through a lot of mental gymnastics to make their point (unconvincingly).
I guess it's kind of similar to the possibility that Buddhist monasticism is intrinsically sexist.

Where we are standing today do we need to have a good look to see if literal rebirth is still a relevant teaching in the same way that we look at continued gender discrimination as being unacceptable? Are these two things something that belong in a different age? Or are they fundamental?

:?:
There are two questions here. Did the Buddha teach rebirth? The texts are quite clear: yes.

The second question relates to your comment: What to do with it?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723