further reading

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
delf7

further reading

Post by delf7 »

just a quick basic beginners question here. i understand the "big 3" of theravada, the "tipitaka", are vinaya, abhidhamma & the suttas. where does the dhammapada fit in to the whole scheme of things?
the reason i'm asking is that, for example, christianity has "the bible", islam has "the qur'an", etc...
i'm just trying to figure out what i need to be reading next.
(after i get through the next book i have on my reading pile, which is "in the buddha's words" by bhikkhu bodhi.)

on another "reading" topic... i have just finished "mindfullness in plain english" and i am about to start my "practice".
i'm a little nervous to start because, as a true beginner, i'm afaraid i won't be doing it right. in "mindfullness", the author suggests "vimuttimagga" by upatissa and "visuddhimagga" by buddhaghosa as things to read to take meditation further.
any suggestions?
thank you.
metta,
delf
Last edited by delf7 on Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acinteyyo

Re: further reading

Post by acinteyyo »

delf7 wrote:just a quick basic beginners question here. i understand the "big 3" of theravada, the "tipitaka", are vinaya, abhidhamma & the suttas. where does the dhammapada fit in to the whole scheme of things?
the reason i'm asking is that, for example, christianity has "the bible", islam has "the qur'an", etc...
i'm just trying to figure out what i need to be reading next.
the next book i have on my reading pile is "in the buddha's words" by bhikkhu bodhi.

on another "reading" topic... i have just finished "mindfullness in plain english" and i am about to start my "practice".
i'm a little nervous to start because, as a true beginner, i'm afaraid i won't be doing it right. in "mindfullness", the author suggests "vimuttimagga" by upatissa and "visuddhimagga" by buddhaghosa as things to read to take meditation further.
any suggestions?
thank you.
metta,
delf
Hi delf,

the dhammapada belongs to the Sutta Pittaka. You can find it in the Khuddaka Nikaya. See here for example -> Tipitaka Palikanon.

Don't worry about not doing it right. If possible best to start may be with a group or a retreat. But if not, don't hesitate to try what you read in "mindfulness in plain english". With experience comes insight... I started some years ago for the first time with the instructions from Anapanasati - Mindfulness of Breathing. It maybe helpful, too.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

I would that you not read vimittimagga nor visudhimagga at this early stage. They are difficult reading and are not especially important in the early years.

Howevee, feel free to read modern works, suttas and sutta antholgies like "In the Buddha's Words". Plenty there to arouse your practice and mind.

Take care.
bodom

Post by bodom »

in "mindfullness", the author suggests "vimuttimagga" by upatissa and "visuddhimagga" by buddhaghosa as things to read to take meditation further.
Theres no need to read these texts just yet, but yes they can be helpful later on with more meditative experience.

This is all Bhante G said:
In the first century after Christ, an eminent Buddhist scholar named Upatissa wrote the Vimuttimagga, (The Path of Freedom) in which he summarized the Buddha's teachings on meditation. In the fifth century A.C. (after Christ,) another great Buddhist scholar named Buddhaghosa covered the same ground in a second scholastic thesis--the Visuddhimagga, (The Path of Purification) which is the standard text on meditation even today. Modern meditation teachers rely on the Tipitaka and upon their own personal experiences. It is our intention to present you with the clearest and most concise directions for Vipassana meditation available in the English language.
:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
delf7

Post by delf7 »

understood. i shall pass on the advanced meditation texts for now. maybe in a few years ???

i still feel the need to try to figure out what the "essential" texts are. maybe i'm not phrasing the question properly, don't understand the way buddhist writings are viewed, or maybe there is no answer to my question, but, as i inquired previously, is there a recognized set of books that, to a theravada buddhist, would be the equivalent of what the bible is to a christian, or the qur'an is to a muslim?
i am trying to learn, so please let me know if this is just a stupid question.
metta,
delf
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

delf7 wrote:is there a recognized set of books that, to a theravada buddhist, would be the equivalent of what the bible is to a christian, or the qur'an is to a muslim?
i f
There is no "holy book" like the bible or the qur'an but I would say what you are searching for probably is the "set of three baskets" (Tipiṭaka) also known as the Pali Canon.
The Tipitaka (Pali ti, "three," + pitaka, "baskets"), or Pali canon, is the collection of primary Pali language texts which form the doctrinal foundation of Theravada Buddhism. The Tipitaka and the paracanonical Pali texts (commentaries, chronicles, etc.) together constitute the complete body of classical Theravada texts.
(source)

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Essential texts may vary depending on wgo is asked. However, essential books would be the Digha Nikaya, Majjhima Nikaya, Samyutta Nikaya, and the Anguttara Nikaya.

Some would add a book or two to the list, but very few would remove one. Although just which of these four become your personal favorite will be a personal matter.
delf7

Post by delf7 »

thank you for the information. you all have been very helpful.
metta,
delf
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

delf7 wrote:is there a recognized set of books that, to a theravada buddhist, would be the equivalent of what the bible is to a christian, or the qur'an is to a muslim?
For a single volume which can be read over and over again with great benefit, I think the best bet is the Majjhima Nikaya. Given how you're asking the question, I feel certain that this volume is appropriate.

:heart:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

It sounds like you are definitely on the right track. For starters, you can't go wrong with In the Buddha's Words for some of the most important Suttas and Bhante G's Mindfulness in Plain English for a good introduction to Buddhist meditation.

After that for further readings, the Suttas is the next place to go for more detail:

Digha Nikaya
Majjhima Nikaya
Samyutta Nikaya
Anguttara Nikaya
Khuddaka Nikaya (not necessarily all 15 books, but 5 to 10 of the most essential, such as the Sutta Nipata, Dhammapada, Itivuttaka, and Udana

and then when you are ready:

Vinaya Pitaka (6 volumes)

Abhidhamma Pitaka

and then the most famous commentary books, Vimmutimagga, Visudhimagga

(In the above order, in my opinion)

My personal favorite: Anguttara Nikaya!
delf7

Post by delf7 »

well, thanx again. very informative replies.
i appriciate the ordered list. all that ought to keep me busy reading for quite a long time.
now, if i can just find the time to meditate more often.......
metta,
delf