Site Archive

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.

Site Archive

Postby cittaanurakkho » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:04 pm

This site contains some useful informations, links, and discussions. It is possible to get an offline archive? Considering it is mostly text, the file should be small enough to download. Is it also mirrored? It would be a great loss if it went down by some accidents or hacking.
cittaanurakkho

Re: Site Archive

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:13 pm

Yes, we download a back-up version of the entire database / site about once per month. Thanks for the reminder. :)

One of the reasons e-sangha never got back online was because backups were not done and they had their own dedicated server, which saves money, but then there is no hosting company to get assistance from and the data back. We will always use the services of a web hoster, so should be able to always get the data back no matter what happens.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby daverupa » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:37 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:always get the data back no matter what happens.

But what about...

:tongue:
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:58 pm

daverupa wrote:But what about...

No problemo. They're Buddhist right? :tongue:

Wait a minute . . . are they Theravada or Mahayana?
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:43 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:We will always use the services of a web hoster, so should be able to always get the data back no matter what happens.

Except maybe this:

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:42 pm

daverupa wrote:
David N. Snyder wrote:always get the data back no matter what happens.

But what about...

:tongue:

Never mind, I just realized we're safe, they are Theravada (sort of):

(Dhammakaya Movement)
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby daverupa » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:26 pm

Klaatu: I am fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason.

:thumbsup:
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby cittaanurakkho » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:37 pm

Do you have a link where a user can download the whole website to read offline? Thanks.
cittaanurakkho

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:27 am

Greetings,

cittaanurakkho wrote:Do you have a link where a user can download the whole website to read offline? Thanks.

You might have to wait on David for a definitive answer, but I think the answer is no.

The "topics" that you see here are inseparable from the database (which includes the member database and associated membership details).

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:55 am

retrofuturist wrote:You might have to wait on David for a definitive answer, but I think the answer is no.

The "topics" that you see here are inseparable from the database (which includes the member database and associated membership details).

Correct, it is not even in something slightly decipherable such as html, but rather some other sort of computerese. But my tech guy assures me that the information could be used if for some reason this site went down permanently and/or the web hoster and then all we would have to do is use that data base and find a different web hoster.

Unless, of course something like what Tilt showed happens. But we are working on getting some titanium plates in a capsule with some magic spectacles. That way some intelligent life on another planet will be able to decipher the info using the spectacles. (just kidding)
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Ytrog » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:44 pm

Are the backups tested? I mean that a backup is restored to a test server to see if it still works. This way you can prevent unpleasant surprises when you actually need the backup. This is a standard practice in the IT business.

Btw: test server means some computer that runs the same database, webserver and forum software (phpBB in this case). It can be just a pc that is usually used for other things, so it doesn't have to cost a thing.
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.

mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments

If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Ytrog

Return to Suggestion box